Service Serial Number on FFL application

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Service Serial Number on FFL application

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default Service Serial Number on FFL application

Block 15 of the FFL application states, "If You Have Served in the Armed Forces, Provide the Service Serial Number and Military Branch". Now since I came in after Service Serial Numbers were used and Socials took their place; do I have to provide my social? I know earlier in the application it says your SSN is voluntary so I put N/A in that block. I just want to make sure that is correct before I send it off.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9572 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

For all you youngsters- at one time, members of the Armed Forces had a "Service Number". That stopped July 1, 1969. Those that entered service after that date never had a Service Number.

Supplying your SSAN is voluntary- it may speed up the process if you have a common name. I have one friend that is the only person in the US (so far as we know) that has that first and last name. But if you are Robert Jones, odds are that somewhere, a Bob Jones has been in trouble. (have another friend that is a retired Police Captain from Virginia- John Smith. Yep- Cpt. John Smith of Virginia. Don't ask him about Pocahontas)

Me, I had TWO service numbers. One when I was enlisted, one as an officer. Wonder which one they would want for me?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

For the old man that had a service number I understand that..lol, thanks for the reply.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Thanx for the history lesson C3.
I find a little "useless" info can come in handy from time to time. ;^)

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk