Sending guns to local shop when ordering online
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Sending guns to local shop when ordering online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Sending guns to local shop when ordering online

Now I know the only way you can get rifles sent to your door is if you have your FFL or have a C&R for C&R types of guns. So when I go to order a rifle online, do I tell my local shop ahead of time that they will be expecting a delivery from so-and-so? Or is it a different routine. Any help is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21546 Times on 12237 Posts
Likes Given: 53660

personally, if using a dealer with an FFL for and online sale and transfer, i would be arranging that prior to the purchase, not afterwards.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #3

Well isn't my only other choice to have to buy that rifle at the shop if they even have it? And of course not requiring my own FFL

Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8745 Times on 3780 Posts
Likes Given: 1343

Matt- your receiving dealer will need to send the shipping dealer a copy of his FFL. Here is what I do- envelope, addressed to seller, stamped, copy of the completed auction, my money order, and take it UNSEALED to my dealer. Give him a sheet with name and address of seller, description of gun, my name and phone number.

HE adds a copy of his FFL to the envelope, seals, drops in mail. When gun arrives he has reminder from me, calls me.

So yes, you will need to have this arranged in advance.

If you look on auctionarms or gunbroker home page, they both have a "find a ffl" function. These are dealers withat signed up as willing to be a transfer dealer. Put in your zip, pulls up nearest dealers.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

I have repeat transfers.
I get the fax number and fax a copy of my FFL to sender (customer mails if no fax number).

I insist that the customer's telephone number is on the shipping docs so I can call customer when it comes in.

Some of my best transfers have been when the customer emailed me the tracking number they obtained from seller.

Rarely does a firearm get delivered that I did not know was coming in.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #6

Not saying I will, but I couldn't have one of y'all do it if you have your FFL instead of using my local shop?

Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

If you are not across my state lines, yes.

(That's why we have them. C&R's cannot transfer non C&R firearms, though)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Your receiving FFL has to be in your home state. It's important to set this up in advance for two reasons. One, so the info can be exchanged between the shipping and receiving dealers, as has already been explained to you. Second, some dealers don't accept shipments not bought from them. Also, receiving fees vary from dealer to dealer. I keep mine fair. Some look to charge fees not so fair because they want to make more than they should and you didn't buy from them. It's a reality that I don't approve of personally, but it is the way it is. Nobody is going to receive a firearm bought elsewhere for free, unless maybe if the receiving dealer is a close personal friend or family member. Then, I'd have to wonder why you didn't buy through them.

Internet based sales have hurt many free standing dealers in many industries. Ours is no exception. People also have tended to shop online without checking out pricing at brick & mortar and home based dealers these days. One recent client of mine figured this out when he called me asking if I'd accept a Stag AR shipment from an internet site and then found out that I'm a factory direct Stag dealer.