Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (
-   -   Selling to out of state resident (

JLee 03-08-2012 03:35 AM

Selling to out of state resident

I just received my FFL approval paperwork today. :) I live in Colorado and I have friends in MN and PA that would like to purchase from us. Can they come to Colorado and purchase a long arm from me and then bring it back to their state of residence. Or can I hand deliver it to them if I take a trip to their house?


robocop10mm 03-08-2012 03:40 AM

My understanding is yes to long guns and no to handguns. Handguns would have to go through an FFL in their state.

Durangokid 03-08-2012 04:14 AM

Some state laws may be different. I know for instance you can not sell any firearm to a California resident out side of his state. :rolleyes:

robocop10mm 03-08-2012 05:23 AM

Good luck with that one. Enforce your state's laws when I have not even set foot in your state, sent an item to your state or had anything to do with your state. Commiefornia!

danf_fl 03-08-2012 09:36 AM

Asking for free legal advice on an open forum may not get you the answer you seek.
Get to know the laws and don't be afraid to ask these type of questions directly to the BATF.

wjnfirearms 03-08-2012 06:53 PM

You need to check your state laws for long guns, but handguns are the same everywhere, to the best of my knowledge: must be an in state resident with in state ID for a FTF sale.

For sales to the Socialist State of California, you can sell by mail, BUT FIRST... you have to register with the California DOJ as a seller. It is simple and can be done online. They do not ask for a lot of personal info. I know of many FFLs that just will not sell to Cali residents just on principle, which I understand, but my feelings are that why make residents of that state suffer because their laws are so ridiculous. Once you register, you have to use their web site to let them know about shipments into Cali before you ship and get a DOJ number to affix to the package. Shipments of permissable firearms into Cali are prohibited without the number plainly visible on the outside of the package. You also have to familiarize yourself as a seller as to which guns are Cali legal to ship into the state and which are not. It's a true PITA.

Also, danf gives you good advice. Find out which BATFE field office serves your location and have the phone number available. They are always good about answering questions of dealers. Better to know the correct answer to any question and not be afraid to ask then to do it wrong. They do not consider ignorance of the law as a valid excuse for anything.

c3shooter 03-08-2012 10:17 PM

You CAN sell them a long gun if they come to your state- but you CANNOT take the gun to them in another state- sales as a licensee must be at your licensed premises, or at a gun show in your home state.

As far as selling to a CA resident that comes to my state- ATF will pull your license if you are caught doing that- they require that a licensee abide by all state laws as well as Federal.

JLee 03-09-2012 05:19 AM

Thanks for all of the information.

Hopefully I will get some dealers setup in a week, business cards are coming Monday and the website should be up this weekend.

danf_fl 03-09-2012 09:08 AM

Where are our manners? Welcome to the forum. When you get a chance, stop by our "Introductions" area.

c3shooter 03-09-2012 09:29 AM

Dan has shamed me! Missed that you are a new guy- Welcome! Please do stop by the intro thread and say howdy! If you are in Parker, used to be a neighbor- lived over in Castle Rock.

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.