Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Selling firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Selling firearms

Didn't know exactly where to put this. Sounded like a legal issue to me. I do not know the rules and regulations of selling multiple firearms. Didn't know if there was a certain time limit there is supposed to be before selling another unregulated firearms. I am getting rid of practically all of mine except for the select few I shoot. Saddens me to do so but times are tight. Any ideas? Live in MD and all firearms are unregulated rifles/shotguns.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #2

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx
Didn't know exactly where to put this. Sounded like a legal issue to me. I do not know the rules and regulations of selling multiple firearms. Didn't know if there was a certain time limit there is supposed to be before selling another unregulated firearms. I am getting rid of practically all of mine except for the select few I shoot. Saddens me to do so but times are tight. Any ideas? Live in MD and all firearms are unregulated rifles/shotguns.
Hi, Corey.

When selling multiple firearms in Maryland, whether they be regulated or non regulated, as long as you ship your firearms to a licensed FFL you should be fine.

This isn't legal advice, although I am sure you have nothing to worry about as far as shipping it to the buyers local FFL.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All sales will be made locally Face to Face private sales. (Sorry I didn't mention that in the first place)

Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoreyyyx
All sales will be made locally Face to Face private sales. (Sorry I didn't mention that in the first place)
First you want to make sure the firearm isn't regulated. When you have that down, please check to see if the person is prohibited from purchasing a firearm or not.

Make sure you have the persons Drivers License/State ID and if anything seems off about the person, just leave. A bill of sale is very important to have also, it can save your butt.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

As an unlicensed person, you may sell to a FFL in any state. FTF sales can only be made to a fellow resident of your home state. If you are in MD, and buyer is from VA or PA, NO.

You are permitted under Federal law to make "casual sales", such as disposing of a collection. That is not considering "engaging in the business".

Not that you asked, but would do a 2 copy bill of sale, your name and address, THEIR name and address, description of gun. You BOTH sign, each gets a copy.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Last time I sold a firearm, I printed off a bill of sale and had the serial number and everything on there as well as both signatures and both of us got copies. Also, I know about the same state residents. All of the firearms have been checked off the list as unregulated. I was just wondering if I had to take my time between sales or if I could just list them all in the classifieds at once.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8445 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

No pacing of sales required under Fed rules. Just do not buy gun, sell it, buy gun and sell it, etc etc etc. Or buy 5 of one, immediately sell 4 of them, etc. THAT would be "engaging in the business".

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, thanks again for the help c3 like usual. and thank you for all other input.