Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Seen in an anti assault weapons post.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I miss spoke it's "Sons of Guns" with Red Jacket guns in Barton Rouge, love the show... and their very talented group has all kinds of issues making auto guns work, much less converting them...

Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #32

Liked 619 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You won't be watching Sons of Guns anymore, Discovery Networks has cancelled all firearms related programming.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #33

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Years ago in the 70's up to the mid 80's you were able to purchase in publications like the old Shotgun News a few M16 parts and what they called a drop in auto sear. Today auto sears are registered with the ATF. It was simple and very easy to do and required no gunsmithing skills. Basically you replaced the original trigger, bolt and bolt carrier with the M16 types and when the auto sear was dropped in you had only full auto. Removing it returned it to semi.

Back then you could also buy suppressor internals and then purchase the outer tube from someone else. Those were different times.They even sold the M2 select fire trigger assembly for the M1 carbine, which took 15 minutes or less to change. Only a channel had to be notched out of the stock for the selector switch, unless you already had an M2 stock. I wonder why it was more peaceful back then as opposed to nowadays? Maybe our times are influenced too much by the dirt bag politicians.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #34

Liked 816 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Do you have any personal experience with these parts? (Or ordering them?) This sounds a lot like the "buy a complete WWII jeep disassembled in a box" type of thing to me. JMHO.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #35

I saw someone arrested many years ago for possession of an early CAR15 with all those bells and whistles after accidentally discharging a round into the wall of his apartment. I guess he was playing with it.

Back then I heard of a number of people doing that. but that was looking for big trouble, so I wasn't interested in risk taking. Soldier of Fortune magazine did write a lot about it back then. I even recall seeing in there photos of a 2 piece drop in sear for the AK.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 02-10-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #36

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Years ago in the 70's up to the mid 80's you were able to purchase in publications like the old Shotgun News a few M16 parts and what they called a drop in auto sear. Today auto sears are registered with the ATF. It was simple and very easy to do and required no gunsmithing skills. Basically you replaced the original trigger, bolt and bolt carrier with the M16 types and when the auto sear was dropped in you had only full auto. Removing it returned it to semi.

Back then you could also buy suppressor internals and then purchase the outer tube from someone else. Those were different times.They even sold the M2 select fire trigger assembly for the M1 carbine, which took 15 minutes or less to change. Only a channel had to be notched out of the stock for the selector switch, unless you already had an M2 stock. I wonder why it was more peaceful back then as opposed to nowadays? Maybe our times are influenced too much by the dirt bag politicians.
The caveat to the drop in sear... you had to have a specific AR lower for it to work, that is unless you had access to the prints, a talented machinest, and or someone that knew how to get the timing right.
Discovery only watch them on Netflix, so was it them that caught the heat for some brain wash program called "American Muslim" with most of the advertising canceling, or was that learning channel?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 AM   #37

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
And I bet he thinks hotwiring modern cars is as simple as the way Charlie's Angels do it!
You mean you just don't take a flat head screw driver and stick it where the key goes and turn?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
The caveat to the drop in sear... you had to have a specific AR lower for it to work, that is unless you had access to the prints, a talented machinest, and or someone that knew how to get the timing right.
Discovery only watch them on Netflix, so was it them that caught the heat for some brain wash program called "American Muslim" with most of the advertising canceling, or was that learning channel?
Apparently you weren't around back then and have much to learn, but I can assure you that Colt was the AR15 that was around with perhaps the Costa Mesa AR18, if you're familiar with it. I have no idea where your info comes from, but I suggest you rethink it. When those parts from the M16 were placed into the Colt AR15 the auto sear was just slipped in. No talent of any sort was required, as was proved by the morons caught doing it and there were many.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #39

Liked 79 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I had a drop in Chip McCormic trigger group go auto on me a few years back.

Just plinking away semi auto when on the third trigger pull she went... B, B, Bang!

I found that by firing then just slightly letting off the trigger I could consistalny run 5 to 9 round bursts...

Broke my heart to do it but I took it back to my FFL and had him swap it out for a new one. I've had the replacement CM group for 8 years with no issues so it must have been a faulty run.

Tack
Did you at least have some fun with it before you took it back?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #40

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The SP-1 and SP-II Colt Prebans could be converted if you had the illegal parts. The Post Ban Colts have a moly block which will not allow placing an auto sear and lever in the rifle.