Seen in an anti assault weapons post. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Seen in an anti assault weapons post.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

I was under the impression you COULD turn an AR into a full auto, (with a lightening link), and it was easy. Albeit with the paperwork, checks, and $200 tax.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #22
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
I was under the impression you COULD turn an AR into a full auto, (with a lightening link), and it was easy. Albeit with the paperwork, checks, and $200 tax.
It has to be registered and fitted which takes machining.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8863 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Well, yes and no. Mainly no. It is called the Lightning Link (no E). It is a drop in part. What they did not tell you is that you are probably going to have to do milling of the internals to have room to "drop it in".

But do not put the metal working tools away. You are also going to have to learn about "timing" the LL. It works by the lower rear of the bolt carrier whacking the link as the bolt closes, which kicks the disconnector loose from the hammer. Maybe. If not, you have some filing to do. Oh- not on the link- because it is a rather pricy little bit of controlled, licensed metal (it is actually classed as a machine gun) What YOU are going to be filing and grinding on is the bolt carrier. Hope you have a few extras- just in case.

BTW, LLs wear out. Fairly quickly. And with a LL, your AR is full auto or nothing. Once the LL wears out, you get to buy (and pay the $200 tax) on another. And only those registered by May 1986 can be sold. Last one I saw for sale was $7,000.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

2manyhobbies Likes This 
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #24

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

I had a drop in Chip McCormic trigger group go auto on me a few years back.

Just plinking away semi auto when on the third trigger pull she went... B, B, Bang!

I found that by firing then just slightly letting off the trigger I could consistalny run 5 to 9 round bursts...

Broke my heart to do it but I took it back to my FFL and had him swap it out for a new one. I've had the replacement CM group for 8 years with no issues so it must have been a faulty run.

Tack

Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #25

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've only known one guy that professed the knowledge to make one auto that I believed. He's a tool maker and gunsmith. I've seen him make some pretty awesome stuff. But even he's not nuts enough to actually do it. Just because somethng can be done does not make it easy nor does it make it something people really want to do.

Anti-gunners have a serious lack of working knowledge in how guns work. I'm still amazed how many of these types truly believe that every AR sold is full auto like the ones they see on TV. I actually had to show one of my dumb-ass hippie sisters my AR and that it had no setting for full auto or three round burst. She heard they all do that too.

Poor CA..He's living in the same area she does in Oregon.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 656

There is a shop near here where you can rent a Thompson and shoot it at their in door range. I've heard it's expensive.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #27

Thanks C3, excellent explanation. I was not aware of some of that. For some reason I was under the impression that you could buy a new manufactured LL. The 1986 part explains the cost........

Quote:
There is a shop near here where you can rent a Thompson and shoot it at their in door range. I've heard it's expensive.
We have one of those places here, too. I rented a HK MP5 select fire once. Total cost that day, (it also included another gun rental, shared with my buddy), was around $150. Not inexpensive, but not undoable for a once in a great while awesome experience. This particular place also has suppressor, other full auto, and beltfed stuff for rent. All at an indoor range!! Cool!!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #28

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, yes and no. Mainly no. It is called the Lightning Link (no E). It is a drop in part. What they did not tell you is that you are probably going to have to do milling of the internals to have room to "drop it in".

But do not put the metal working tools away. You are also going to have to learn about "timing" the LL. It works by the lower rear of the bolt carrier whacking the link as the bolt closes, which kicks the disconnector loose from the hammer. Maybe. If not, you have some filing to do. Oh- not on the link- because it is a rather pricy little bit of controlled, licensed metal (it is actually classed as a machine gun) What YOU are going to be filing and grinding on is the bolt carrier. Hope you have a few extras- just in case.

BTW, LLs wear out. Fairly quickly. And with a LL, your AR is full auto or nothing. Once the LL wears out, you get to buy (and pay the $200 tax) on another. And only those registered by May 1986 can be sold. Last one I saw for sale was $7,000.
Anyone ever watch the show "Sons of Guns" those guys are good, aka professional, they have the federal license required to do this kind of work, they have done just that multiple times, they will put several guys on it, and they still have issues converting guns!

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 02-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #29

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
There are several in Las Vegas, not to close but the "Gun Shop" has multiple flavors of full auto, n they are not the only one in that area

Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #30

No, I'm not familiar with a show called "Red Hat". Which network, day & time?