Seen in an anti assault weapons post. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Seen in an anti assault weapons post.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:18 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,282
Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Default

I was under the impression you COULD turn an AR into a full auto, (with a lightening link), and it was easy. Albeit with the paperwork, checks, and $200 tax.

__________________
clr8ter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:36 AM   #22
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 611
Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
I was under the impression you COULD turn an AR into a full auto, (with a lightening link), and it was easy. Albeit with the paperwork, checks, and $200 tax.
It has to be registered and fitted which takes machining.
__________________
hmh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 AM   #23
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 16,697
Liked 8863 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Default

Well, yes and no. Mainly no. It is called the Lightning Link (no E). It is a drop in part. What they did not tell you is that you are probably going to have to do milling of the internals to have room to "drop it in".

But do not put the metal working tools away. You are also going to have to learn about "timing" the LL. It works by the lower rear of the bolt carrier whacking the link as the bolt closes, which kicks the disconnector loose from the hammer. Maybe. If not, you have some filing to do. Oh- not on the link- because it is a rather pricy little bit of controlled, licensed metal (it is actually classed as a machine gun) What YOU are going to be filing and grinding on is the bolt carrier. Hope you have a few extras- just in case.

BTW, LLs wear out. Fairly quickly. And with a LL, your AR is full auto or nothing. Once the LL wears out, you get to buy (and pay the $200 tax) on another. And only those registered by May 1986 can be sold. Last one I saw for sale was $7,000.

__________________

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

c3shooter is offline  
2manyhobbies Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Tackleberry1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver,WA
Posts: 5,993
Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Default

I had a drop in Chip McCormic trigger group go auto on me a few years back.

Just plinking away semi auto when on the third trigger pull she went... B, B, Bang!

I found that by firing then just slightly letting off the trigger I could consistalny run 5 to 9 round bursts...

Broke my heart to do it but I took it back to my FFL and had him swap it out for a new one. I've had the replacement CM group for 8 years with no issues so it must have been a faulty run.

Tack

__________________
Tackleberry1 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrumJunkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Here in the holler....
Posts: 4,823
Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default

I've only known one guy that professed the knowledge to make one auto that I believed. He's a tool maker and gunsmith. I've seen him make some pretty awesome stuff. But even he's not nuts enough to actually do it. Just because somethng can be done does not make it easy nor does it make it something people really want to do.

Anti-gunners have a serious lack of working knowledge in how guns work. I'm still amazed how many of these types truly believe that every AR sold is full auto like the ones they see on TV. I actually had to show one of my dumb-ass hippie sisters my AR and that it had no setting for full auto or three round burst. She heard they all do that too.

Poor CA..He's living in the same area she does in Oregon.

__________________

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

DrumJunkie is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:02 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Salem,Oregon
Posts: 601
Liked 212 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 656

Default

There is a shop near here where you can rent a Thompson and shoot it at their in door range. I've heard it's expensive.

__________________
Mongo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,282
Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Default

Thanks C3, excellent explanation. I was not aware of some of that. For some reason I was under the impression that you could buy a new manufactured LL. The 1986 part explains the cost........

Quote:
There is a shop near here where you can rent a Thompson and shoot it at their in door range. I've heard it's expensive.
We have one of those places here, too. I rented a HK MP5 select fire once. Total cost that day, (it also included another gun rental, shared with my buddy), was around $150. Not inexpensive, but not undoable for a once in a great while awesome experience. This particular place also has suppressor, other full auto, and beltfed stuff for rent. All at an indoor range!! Cool!!
__________________
clr8ter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Battle Creek,Mi
Posts: 207
Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, yes and no. Mainly no. It is called the Lightning Link (no E). It is a drop in part. What they did not tell you is that you are probably going to have to do milling of the internals to have room to "drop it in".

But do not put the metal working tools away. You are also going to have to learn about "timing" the LL. It works by the lower rear of the bolt carrier whacking the link as the bolt closes, which kicks the disconnector loose from the hammer. Maybe. If not, you have some filing to do. Oh- not on the link- because it is a rather pricy little bit of controlled, licensed metal (it is actually classed as a machine gun) What YOU are going to be filing and grinding on is the bolt carrier. Hope you have a few extras- just in case.

BTW, LLs wear out. Fairly quickly. And with a LL, your AR is full auto or nothing. Once the LL wears out, you get to buy (and pay the $200 tax) on another. And only those registered by May 1986 can be sold. Last one I saw for sale was $7,000.
Anyone ever watch the show "Sons of Guns" those guys are good, aka professional, they have the federal license required to do this kind of work, they have done just that multiple times, they will put several guys on it, and they still have issues converting guns!
__________________

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 02-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.
2manyhobbies is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Battle Creek,Mi
Posts: 207
Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
There is a shop near here where you can rent a Thompson and shoot it at their in door range. I've heard it's expensive.
There are several in Las Vegas, not to close but the "Gun Shop" has multiple flavors of full auto, n they are not the only one in that area
__________________
2manyhobbies is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,282
Liked 987 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Default

No, I'm not familiar with a show called "Red Hat". Which network, day & time?

__________________
clr8ter is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Why American need to own assault weapons 2manyhobbies Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 50 01-17-2013 03:46 AM
Assault weapons ban xSTRIKERx Legal and Activism 262 01-14-2013 10:20 AM
calling them assault weapons paintsplat Politics, Religion and Controversy 5 01-02-2013 04:17 PM
Assault weapons ban Zodiac131911 Legal and Activism 28 07-28-2012 09:36 PM
AWB (Assault weapons ban) vs Post ban model??? capnklump AR-15 Discussion 3 10-02-2011 02:58 PM