Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Seen in an anti assault weapons post. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/seen-anti-assault-weapons-post-82012/)

konrado 01-21-2013 12:41 PM

Seen in an anti assault weapons post.

As I was reading posts by anti an assault rifle person, their argument was that ARs were easy to convert to full auto. Besides being illegal I don't think that can be done. I didn't respond to them because I didn't have enough knowledge to back up the argument against their post.

Rick1967 01-21-2013 12:52 PM

If someone has enough knowledge and the right tools just about any semiauto could be converted. But it would be illegal.

But your average gun person would more than likely end up with a gun that would start shooting and keep shooting even if they werent still pulling the trigger. It is not a simple as most people thing it is.

mountainman13 01-21-2013 01:17 PM

Converting an AR to an automatic takes serious machinery and skill. You need to have years of experience as a machinist, gunsmith and micro-welder. It is not worth the trouble to do it.

konrado 01-21-2013 01:41 PM

Thanks thats what I thought.

lbwar15 01-21-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by konrado
Thanks thats what I thought.

Everyone thinks its so easy bc once upon a time you could buy a drop In trigger that made it full auto. But the ATF quickly dropped the hammer on things like that.

Mosin 01-21-2013 02:45 PM

Yes...you can convert a semi auto to full auto, but it's only a little bit easier than just making your own gun. Seriously. in the days of CNC machines and 3D printers, you could just the same make a gun....

c3shooter 01-21-2013 03:27 PM

One of the great lies- That you can convert an AR15 to full auto with one drop in part, and you can buy those parts anywhere- no paperwork- for a dollar or two.

Truth- there are several parts that are different between the AR and M16. Matter of fact, ANY gun that is "readily convertible" to full auto fire is already regulated/prohibited by the rules of the BATFE.

Yes, you would need a machine shop to convert. See- the parts that you have to add- there is no place for them to fit inside the receiver- so would have to be milled out.

Can you buy a "registered sear" that will make an AR into a full auto? Yep. The part is treated the same as a machine gun, sells for several thousand $$$, requires payment of $200 tax, fingerprints, approval from your police chief, background check, etc.

They also fail to mention that short of using a registered sear, converting an AR to full auto- if you are not a licensed manufacturer, will get you 10 years, Federal pen, no parole, and a $10,000 fine.

roughneck266 01-31-2013 04:15 AM

Easier to convert a glock than an ar. Neither is actually easy to do though

nitestalker 01-31-2013 04:29 AM

It is easier to do a "Sex Change" on an AKM 47. It is not a matter of how easy it is to convert the rifle. It is better to look at the punishment for owning such a weapon.:eek:

AR10 01-31-2013 04:38 AM

I purchased a gun off of a table at a gun show, and upon test firing the weapon, it was excitable, if you get my drift. That was many years ago. I went to the next gun show, and asked what parts I need to replace to make it normal, and was sold two or three things to exchange. Don't remember what they were, but they were simple parts to replace and cost next to nothing.

I put in the new parts, and all was good.

I do not know if the gun was dirty, or worn, but I can tell you, my attention was increased when what I thought was going to be a bang, was Baaaaannnnnnggggg.

I was a FFL holder at the time. I told my inspector about it, when he dropped by, about every other year, and he just grinned, like that happens all the time. Some guns go bezerk if you just don't clean them.