SBR suppressor question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > SBR suppressor question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default SBR suppressor question

I have a less than 16" AR that has a permanently attached Vortex Flash Hider installed to bring the total length to 16"'s. I have a Gemtech suppressor that I'm pretty sure will not attach to the Vortex. If I put the standard birdcage flash hider it would be less than 16"s without the suppressor. What are my options for moving the suppressor from weapon to weapon without being in possession of a SBR? I suppose I could permanently attach the suppressor but I'm not sure how you would clean or maintain it. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I'm sure the ATF would frown on the non permanent aspect of your permanently attached Vortex. If it is readily removeable, you got yourself an SBR.

If you were to "permanently" attach the papered can to the under 16" bbl you would be legal again, but then there is that maintenance thing.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #3

I would just replace the barrel with a 16" model. Or SBR your lower.

www.quentin-laser.com

Old 12-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I'm sure the ATF would frown on the non permanent aspect of your permanently attached Vortex. If it is readily removeable, you got yourself an SBR.

If you were to "permanently" attach the papered can to the under 16" bbl you would be legal again, but then there is that maintenance thing.
Yeah, I am pondering that first part myself. Permanently attached means just that. By BATFE standards that means welded. Not pinned. Not epoxied. Not silver soldered. If the Vortex is, by definition, "permanently attached", removing it would make an SBR. I think Glock Holiday offered the easiest solution.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 PM   #5

depending on the length you may be able to permanantly instal a three lug adapter or other quick detach mount and meet the 16" requirement. If allowed in your state I would consider registering it as a sbr. It opens up many more oportunities anyway.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #6

Sell the upper and get a threaded 16inch + barrel and have at it.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #7

if u have a papered and legal suppressor then why not just sbr the rifle, seems like less of a pain in the butt.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The only other option would be to just get another upper that has a 16" barrel.