sbr question?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > sbr question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default sbr question?

If I were to get the papers for a sbr can I still switch out the uppers and use the one lower for a variety of uppers. I'm not asking of course if this is possible, but is it legal? I know that the lower would need to be purchase to be a rifle not pistol of course. But not sure on the rest

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 AM   #2

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Yes , once u get the stamp u are good to go with any uppers

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #3

Liked 703 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Yes , once u get the stamp u are good to go with any uppers
Provided that the barrel length is not shorter than what the rifle is registered as, or am I mistaken?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 05-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Provided that the barrel length is not shorter than what the rifle is registered as, or am I mistaken?
I was told by a BATFE agent that it did not matter so long as its not a permenant change and this was in the last 12 months

Old 05-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would be careful about change if it includes a change in caliber. If you change from a .223 to a .300 Whisper/blackout, and your paperwork is challenged, and it is clearly marked .223, there may be a problem. Some people have submitted paperwork with multiple calibers, but lately I have seen that paperwork kicked back allowing only a single caliber to be specified.

The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
I would be careful about change if it includes a change in caliber. If you change from a .223 to a .300 Whisper/blackout, and your paperwork is challenged, and it is clearly marked .223, there may be a problem. Some people have submitted paperwork with multiple calibers, but lately I have seen that paperwork kicked back allowing only a single caliber to be specified.
You cannot submit multiple calibers, you cannot put multi in the caliber spot on the paper work.You have to choose one , doesnt matter if its .223 or 5.56 but it cannot have both on the paper work . This is where it gets tricky for .300 blk. put .300 some agents will let .300 blk slide some wont . All this will get your paper work sent back to you and just delay your stamp . YOU CAN put what ever caliber upper other than what the paper work says or any size barrel length on the NFA lower without any issue so long as its not a permenant change . Permenant changes must be notified to the BATF via a phone call and letter . I own 3 sbrs and have 2 pending . Im not the know it all about sbrs , but I have had my share of paperwork returned also. They are all of a sudden picky about fingerprint cards , so when you decide to do it make sure to order NFA fingerprint cards from them . They are free , we already pay taxes for them .

Last edited by purehavoc; 05-25-2013 at 11:25 PM.