Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   sbr question? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/sbr-question-90942/)

juststartin5272 05-20-2013 12:03 AM

sbr question?

If I were to get the papers for a sbr can I still switch out the uppers and use the one lower for a variety of uppers. I'm not asking of course if this is possible, but is it legal? I know that the lower would need to be purchase to be a rifle not pistol of course. But not sure on the rest

purehavoc 05-20-2013 04:09 AM

Yes , once u get the stamp u are good to go with any uppers

sputnik1988 05-20-2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1252146)
Yes , once u get the stamp u are good to go with any uppers

Provided that the barrel length is not shorter than what the rifle is registered as, or am I mistaken?

purehavoc 05-20-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1252158)
Provided that the barrel length is not shorter than what the rifle is registered as, or am I mistaken?

I was told by a BATFE agent that it did not matter so long as its not a permenant change and this was in the last 12 months

IXLR8 05-25-2013 11:57 PM

I would be careful about change if it includes a change in caliber. If you change from a .223 to a .300 Whisper/blackout, and your paperwork is challenged, and it is clearly marked .223, there may be a problem. Some people have submitted paperwork with multiple calibers, but lately I have seen that paperwork kicked back allowing only a single caliber to be specified.

purehavoc 05-26-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IXLR8 (Post 1258078)
I would be careful about change if it includes a change in caliber. If you change from a .223 to a .300 Whisper/blackout, and your paperwork is challenged, and it is clearly marked .223, there may be a problem. Some people have submitted paperwork with multiple calibers, but lately I have seen that paperwork kicked back allowing only a single caliber to be specified.

You cannot submit multiple calibers, you cannot put multi in the caliber spot on the paper work.You have to choose one , doesnt matter if its .223 or 5.56 but it cannot have both on the paper work . This is where it gets tricky for .300 blk. put .300 some agents will let .300 blk slide some wont . All this will get your paper work sent back to you and just delay your stamp . YOU CAN put what ever caliber upper other than what the paper work says or any size barrel length on the NFA lower without any issue so long as its not a permenant change . Permenant changes must be notified to the BATF via a phone call and letter . I own 3 sbrs and have 2 pending . Im not the know it all about sbrs , but I have had my share of paperwork returned also. They are all of a sudden picky about fingerprint cards , so when you decide to do it make sure to order NFA fingerprint cards from them . They are free , we already pay taxes for them .