Rookie Question?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Rookie Question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rookie Question?

Hey all I just got my FFL July 1st and have been trying to get some good wholesalers. Curently im using SportsSouth and Chat Shooting Supply. Question is if Im running my buis out of my home does that mean that I cant be a dealer for wholesalers like Jerry's sports center who say they only sell to Stocking Retail dealers? Also I am doing my first out of state transfer this week and I was wandering if someone will tell me everything im suposed to do because it;s my first one and I don't wana screw it up. lol
Thanks for the help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I think it would be best to ask the ATF where you got your FFL about the out of state transfer. Bad info from another source is a big risk. Cover your backside and get it straight from the man. The other option is to ask another dealer in your state. Hope this helps.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I continue to be amazed how many threads we have like this. I know some folks with home FFLs and they did all their homework up front. Asking how to legally run a firearms business on an internet forum is like the most dangerous thing I've ever heard. Sorry to be harsh but BATFE is not a forgiving bunch...

Old 08-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Is it not smart to know how to do things before you do them?

I know I practice I know athletes practice Doctors do it. Why don't you do it?

Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #5

Default Thanks

Well I never said I didnt know anything or that I havent researched anything....Just wanted some tips from some experienced people. I really didnt want any crap from anyone for asking for some help. The other post I have made on here I got some nice responses but today is a different story. This is a good Forum from what I have read but you guys make it hard to want to post anything else on here...................Thanks to the one who did give some advice and didn's post Crap!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkreed View Post
Also I am doing my first out of state transfer this week and I was wandering if someone will tell me everything im suposed to do because it;s my first one and I don't wana screw it up. lol
IMHO, I don't know how we're supposed to take you seriously with a post like this. The ATF will eat your lunch for a single mistake on a 4473. Sorry if you're offended but I know for a fact that if I had an FFL I'd make sure I got my info and instructions directly from the folks that could ruin my life...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-02-2010 at 04:12 PM.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

To me you are taking this way to nonchalantly for me. I would not want to transfer a gun through you ever.

This is serious business and you spent $200+ dollars getting set up yet you on the interwebs asking a bunch of strangers who you don't know if they have an FFL or not a serious question.

From what I understand 1 to many mistakes and your FFL is GONE. This isn't play time at the kiddy pool son this is dragging someone out of the water that is 75% dead time....

Sorry you got your feelings hurt (Offers tissues) but you need to put your big boy pants on and deal with it (Throws tissues at face while screaming CRYBABY)....

I have 5 thousand ways to open a gun shop thought up in my mind. I even have a name for it as well. Not once would I be on the interwebs asking strangers how to do something like this. The least I would do would be to go to another FFL close to me and ask them how they do it while taking notes then call the AFT and ask for guidance...

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Most respectable wholesalers will contact you. They get info on who has an FFL. Check the posts out and you will see where people are advised to purchase things. Scanning through and doing searches on any forum will assist (most of the time).
Bing, Google, Ask, ammoengine.com are good internet search engines to get you started with finding wholesalers.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #9

Default lol

Ok first off thank's to danf_fi and doctherock for the info. The transfer went fine with no problems. As I said I know what im doing I was mainly asking about the wholesalers but I was nervous about my first transfer. Guess some ppl on here took it personally. I am a police officer and a 10 year vet of the Army so don't worry about my feelings...It will take alot more than some silly post to bother me lol.The (offers tissue) and (throws towel at face while yelling CRYBABY) Comments lol wow. Im sure you do have 5 thousand ways to open a buisness in your head. When I was 10 yrs old I had alot of ideas myself..........maybe when you grow up you can get your FFL and put those ideas to work and to the person that commented on my grammar..........Sorry about that to didn't mean to make any mistakes and I guess I missed the spellcheck button I can understand how it's hard to take anyone seriously when they misspell a few words. Make sure you tell your English class to never take anyone seriously if they can't spell good...... I know ATF is serious buisness. Im not taking this as a joke or anything like that. Like I said I was just a little nervous because one mistake can screw you up and im doing this for extra money for my family not to mess anything up for them. I apologize to anyone for having to read the nonsense my post caused. lol have a good day.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2971 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

An FFL is serious business. Too many othesr have asked questions that, for some of us, has raised "red flags". We have established our businesses, and when one FFL goes under, it gives the rest of us a bad name.
One thing that we see is that people tend to ask questions without doing a search first.
Overall, the FTF is comprised of helpful people who take things very seriously.
Good luck! and welcome to the FTF.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)