Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Rocket/grenade launcher question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

The $200 tax is the least of your worries with HE rounds. You also have to have an approved magazine and all required licenses. Also you will not find anyone who will legally sell to anyone who is not in the business. That makes HE unobtainable to private citizens.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

The "approved magazine" means a storage structure in which to KEEP the HE ammo. As in ammo bunker, etc.

and yes, the COST of feeding something like a 105 Howitzer or an 81mm mortar helps explain some of the popularity of muzzle loading CANNON. They are not regulated. Have a friend that shoots concrete filled beer cans about 1000 meters out of one of his. THAT only costs him about $22 a shot....

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
No I don't wish to buy one, however I have read that grenade and rocket launchers are legal to own and NOT registered. I read that you can own an rpg but the rocket itself is what's registered or illegal right? I also read that you can own grenade launchers(underslung is what I'm mainly referring to) but the high explosive rounds are what's registered/illegal but the smoke, flare, and tear gas rounds are legal.

Is this true?
Since nobody else has mentioned it - the old "spigot type" grenade launcher, like the ones mounted on Yugo SKS rifles, are legal in most states. The U.S. military used these "spigot" grenade launchers in WW2.

However, the spigot launchers are banned in California.... possibly in other states as well -

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/zastava.php

The old-style dummy/practice rifle grenades are still floating around in the "military surplus" market. You can launch these inert grenades off the spigot-type launcher with a special blank cartridge.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #14

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
Since nobody else has mentioned it - the old "spigot type" grenade launcher, like the ones mounted on Yugo SKS rifles, are legal in most states. The U.S. military used these "spigot" grenade launchers in WW2.

However, the spigot launchers are banned in California.... possibly in other states as well -

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/zastava.php

The old-style dummy/practice rifle grenades are still floating around in the "military surplus" market. You can launch these inert grenades off the spigot-type launcher with a special blank cartridge.

Yes, I remember like it were yesterday, the "Great California Grenade Wars"... It were terrible, grenadeings every night, hundreds of bodies in the streets.
I'm so Glad California came to their senses and banned them.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

People Like This 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
They sell 40mm M203's on Amazon, and call them airsoft. I have not ordered one, but they look like a duck, and quack like a duck. I think they are a duck. Putting one to use outside an airsoft platform would be pretty straight forward, and get you three hots and a cot.
And put a real 40mm grenade in one (if it will even fit), pull the trigger and blow your hand off. Air soft is not made to withstand the pressures necessary. Just because it "says" 40mm grenade launcher, does not make it a 40mm grenade launcher. Just like an airsoft "M-16" is not a firearm.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1339 Times on 681 Posts
Likes Given: 987

Those used M72 tubes are what you turn in for $75 at the next Gun Buy Back in your town.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #17
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
And put a real 40mm grenade in one (if it will even fit), pull the trigger and blow your hand off. Air soft is not made to withstand the pressures necessary. Just because it "says" 40mm grenade launcher, does not make it a 40mm grenade launcher. Just like an airsoft "M-16" is not a firearm.
Three hots, a cot, and bandages! lol

When I was a gun dealer, I had an AR with a 37mm launcher attached on display in my store. Attracted attention, which is what I wanted, trying to compete with big box stores.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #18

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Hats off C3...

I can't imagine wanting to play with any of this stuff. The one thing that freaked me out durring my "grunt" years was the explosives. The 203 round didn't bother me too much but the land mine training was "hair raising".

Sliding the blasting cap into my first live claymore cost me at least 16 ounces of sweat! Blowing is from behind the bunker at Ft Campbell was cool but arming the damn thing made me jumpy even though the clacker was not even connected to the other end...yet.

Tack

Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #19

Liked 156 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Grasshopper, you have been fed at least part of a load of ca-ca.

First, look up the term "Destructive Device". The WW2 Bazooka, which is a rocket launcher, and it's larger replacement- the 3.5 inch rocket launcher- are destructive devices. They are treated much the same way that machine guns are treated. The M-72 LAW is not such a device- once it has been fired. Since it is not reusable as a weapon- one shot and it is done- the expended launcher is not a DD.

Each round of bazooka ammo that has an explosive warhead is also a destructive device.

Now, with grenade launchers, there is some difference. The military uses a 40mm, either the M79, the M203, or one of the belt feds. Again- destructive device. Each round of EXPLOSIVE ammo- destructive device.

HOWEVER- there is a 37mm Gas gun- for which explosive ammo is not made. Called a gas gun because that is what the police dept uses to lob a tear gas round thru your window. Those are not destructive devices when used for gas, flares, smoke, etc. There is also a 26.5 mm Flare launcher that is not a destructive device.

Now, someone asks- what happens if you take a 37mm smoke round, open it, pack it with tannerite and a blasting cap? Well, that is really simple. Snake tells you that you had better getcher azz back to the cell, bitch, and get the laundry done. (10 yrs, Federal prison, violation of 1934 National Firearms Act, no parole, and a $10,000 fine).

EDIT_ sorry- you asked about RPGs. They are also DDs, Each round of ammo with an explosive warhead- DD. Two years ago did an investigation of an accident at a research facility working with a version of RPGs- and trust me, those are rather rigidly controlled. There is a TRAINING AID that is a dummy launcher that is not a DD, but it also cannot shoot rockets 960 meters.

But as he said right up there ^^^- if you would like an M203 for FREE, just go stand over there. When I tell you, raise your right hand, say "I do" and take one step forward. We can get you fixed up with new boots, a haircut, and a place to shoot. And a great FREE exercise program....
Arnt blasting caps illegal?

Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #20

Liked 156 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Grasshopper, you have been fed at least part of a load of ca-ca.

First, look up the term "Destructive Device". The WW2 Bazooka, which is a rocket launcher, and it's larger replacement- the 3.5 inch rocket launcher- are destructive devices. They are treated much the same way that machine guns are treated. The M-72 LAW is not such a device- once it has been fired. Since it is not reusable as a weapon- one shot and it is done- the expended launcher is not a DD.

Each round of bazooka ammo that has an explosive warhead is also a destructive device.

Now, with grenade launchers, there is some difference. The military uses a 40mm, either the M79, the M203, or one of the belt feds. Again- destructive device. Each round of EXPLOSIVE ammo- destructive device.

HOWEVER- there is a 37mm Gas gun- for which explosive ammo is not made. Called a gas gun because that is what the police dept uses to lob a tear gas round thru your window. Those are not destructive devices when used for gas, flares, smoke, etc. There is also a 26.5 mm Flare launcher that is not a destructive device.

Now, someone asks- what happens if you take a 37mm smoke round, open it, pack it with tannerite and a blasting cap? Well, that is really simple. Snake tells you that you had better getcher azz back to the cell, bitch, and get the laundry done. (10 yrs, Federal prison, violation of 1934 National Firearms Act, no parole, and a $10,000 fine).

EDIT_ sorry- you asked about RPGs. They are also DDs, Each round of ammo with an explosive warhead- DD. Two years ago did an investigation of an accident at a research facility working with a version of RPGs- and trust me, those are rather rigidly controlled. There is a TRAINING AID that is a dummy launcher that is not a DD, but it also cannot shoot rockets 960 meters.

But as he said right up there ^^^- if you would like an M203 for FREE, just go stand over there. When I tell you, raise your right hand, say "I do" and take one step forward. We can get you fixed up with new boots, a haircut, and a place to shoot. And a great FREE exercise program....
forgot to ask, arent blasting caps illegal?