Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Reopen the machine gun registry!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 247

I think we need to focus on as many smaller victories as we can get for now; increasing the number of jurisdictions with concealed carry is a place to start. Also, we need to get some of the restrictions removed on where we can carry. None of the moviegoers in Aurora was armed, as they were following the restrictions on their concealed carry permits as law abiding citizens. None of the victims in Milwaukee were armed. The second amendment does no good if there are so many restrictions on it we cannot defend ourselves.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #122

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

But if we don't push for all of our rights, we are settling for what we think we can win, or what we think they will "allow us" to have back.

They should never have been taken from us in the first place. So in that thinking, they are stolen rights and deserve to be returned. Otherwise we may as well just sit back and settle for whatever they allow us to have.

I don't like to settle.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #123

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I understand what you are saying Dillinger, and in a way we are saying the same thing.

By not fighting all the fights right now we are not settling. We are instead making a tactical choice. You don't win a war by fighting on every front at the same time. Doing that only exhausts your resources. Doing that is a bad thing when the enemy you are fighting has unlimited resources.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 03:32 PM   #124

I believe we are on the same side of this discussion and I do agree that fighting at every front is not a great way to go about it.

My counter point is that only looking for little victories that we think, or know, we can win does not advance our position.

Every once in a while you have to swing for the fences and try to go after a big win just to keep the other guys on their heels and not let them sit back and "allow" little victories to happen.

Right now the Left wants AWB II in the worst possible way. Fighting against that isn't enough. We need to counter with not only saying "F*ck you, I don't think so" but also "and another thing, we are taking back our right to purchase what is available in the market"

Everyone wants to talk about the economy this election. The economy this, the economy that. Jobs, jobs, jobs.

Can you imagine the buying boom if suddenly everyone had the right, again, to be able to order a toy they really wanted? True manufacturing houses like Colt, LaRue, YHM, DPMS and others would have to hire a second and third shift to keep up with demand.

Ammo sales would sky rocket, so those companies would have to up production.

People would be spending money, which is what everyone wants because that would generate tax revenue on every purchase.

And, the last time I saw a real, honest to God, official stat, NO CRIME has ever been attributed to a legally obtained machine gun, by the person that legally obtained it.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #125

Liked 590 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

IMO if LEO can have m16's without going to basic, or having any real training with them, citizens should be able to get them as well. I understand that some police agencies receive this training, but the majority do not.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #126

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19
IMO if LEO can have m16's without going to basic, or having any real training with them, citizens should be able to get them as well. I understand that some police agencies receive this training, but the majority do not.
Most LEOs will learn FAR MORE about maintenance and marksmanship in a 5 day tactical rifle course than the Army teaches in an entire basic training course.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #127

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Ammo sales would sky rocket, so those companies would have to up production.
And this would be a real problem. The price of ammunition would skyrocket. It's difficult to buy 5.56 for less than $.40/round today, imagine if everybody could buy a M16 w/ROF of 700+ rpm ? You would be lucky to find it for $2.00 per round. Just think how high a .308 would be. Can u imagine paying $1,000 for 1k rounds of S&B 9mm because every tom dick and harry has a MP5. Oh but wait, nobody said anything about changing the import law's. Sorry No MP5's.

Then again, with the demand that everybody is predicting, do you really think Colt or any other M16 manufacture would hold their prices down with such demand. Nope - Sorry again, a M16 could easily hit $10k depending on demand. History is a good example. In 2008, DPMS sold out 3 years worth of product in 4 months. It took them a 2 years to expand capacity to meet only a 1yr demand. I don't think they are caught up today and its been 4 years.

But what about all of those fine classic Machine guns. Does anybody think that some manufacture would begin making new Thompson submachine guns ? I don't know, but if you want a Thompson, the price is the price that is today. All of the classic's will remain @ a higher price, because nobody is making them. But not saying repo's wouldn't be made.

Getting rid of the Hughes amendment will probably only increase the issues. With no ammo or ammo costs so high, why own a MG if you can't shoot it ? Everybody also forgets that States have rights. Do you think California will allow you to own a MG ?? I doubt it.

Just some random thoughts on this subject.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #128

And this from the jaded side of the fence that would stand to lose money if the things went legit again.

Last I checked those companies were about making money. When company "B" starts moving units, company "A" isn't making money. Price point becomes key, not the infamous "pre-ban" stigma.

And converting an existing AR lower to receive full auto parts is pretty quick once you script it in the CNC, so worrying about Colt is the last thing I would do.

Before AWB 1 was put to rest you could not touch a collapsible stock, now you can have any variety you want, most for under $100

You want to talk about old school Thompsons? Unless someone has been filing that patent year after year, guess what? A lot of new CNC machined Thompsons.

Oh, they did renew their patents?

Surprise, new updated Thompsons with a different operating system to by pass the patent.

How many mom and pop AR shops have sprung up in the last 15 years? Hell the Internet fanboy mega house of BCM has only been around since 2003/04 depending on incorporation versus sales.

You think that trend stops because a new market opens

There is no downside to opening the registry.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1940 Times on 1040 Posts
Likes Given: 2888

Patents are renewable only under very special circumstances. Once the patent expires its in the public domain.

http://www.iplg.com/patent_faq.html#anchor02

Old 10-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #130

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7X57Mauser

Most LEOs will learn FAR MORE about maintenance and marksmanship in a 5 day tactical rifle course than the Army teaches in an entire basic training course.
Don't know what army you where in but 12 yrs of humping around a service rifle beats the **** out of a Leo crash course in marksmanship. No army by the way usmc but dont realy think there's a deference

Tags
knob creek, machine gun registry