Reopen the machine gun registry!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Reopen the machine gun registry!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default Reopen the machine gun registry!

I'd like to buy a machine gun, but they're extremely expensive unless it's a law enforcement purchase. We need to reopen the registry! I have a couple of links relevant to this issue, and I'd welcome everyone's input.

This is a petition to reopen the registry.

This is a blog article about my trip to Knob Creek last weekend, with a video of the machine gun shoot.

I believe the registration requirement is unconstitutional, but the closed registry is especially onerous. Let's get it reopened so you can buy machine guns at reasonable prices again, and more people can afford them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2010, 04:04 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

There's about as much chance of this happening in today's political climate as me winning the Powerball lottery. There isn't even handgun carry allowed everywhere and this would help more folks than Class 3 stuff...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
There's about as much chance of this happening in today's political climate as me winning the Powerball lottery. There isn't even handgun carry allowed everywhere and this would help more folks than Class 3 stuff...
Our problem is that we have been on the defensive and let the opposition define the political climate. We need to fight harder than them. They went against the odds and a significant majority and passed Obamacare, and we're only going to continue losing our liberties if we don't take the political offensive.

It's disheartening how many people take the attitude that "we can't win."
Old 04-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #4

Knock yourself out dude. I was just stating my opinion.

IMHO, we need to fight battles we actually have a chance to win as that sets the stage for the next one. "They" didn't regulate everything overnight and we will not de-regulate everything overnight - this will be a long battle one small piece at a time...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You can't win every battle, but even some you don't win are worth fighting in order to obtain an ultimate objective. When the Dems started Obamacare, their prospects looked bleak. But they (and compliant RINOs) have been chipping away at our liberties for decades. They've lost a lot of skirmishes along the way.

OK, how about this. I propose we actually set our target on the Gun Control Act of 1968. Fight that battle tooth and nail. Then, if we need to regroup, we settle for repeal of the Hughes Amendment, thereby reopening the machine gun registry.

And I take issue with your statement that concealed carry helps more than access to machine guns. The Hughes amendment is a dangerous assault on the 2A, and it should be destroyed.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #6

I take exception to your exception. If you have the funds - you can buy a machine gun right now. The folks in Chicago, NYC, and (many in) California (among others) CANNOT carry regardless of how much money they have.

You just don't have the $$$, these folks are blocked by the law - now which is more important?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would love to fill a safe full of Class III stuff.

If you think opening it up is going to happen, I got some property that I will sell you in AZ got a nice view of the new Southern Ocean.

I am in 100% total agreement with NGIB here. CCW laws would go further in helping rid out nation of scum.

Everyone has to have a fight if this is yours so be it more power to you.

I just believe that people all over this country should be allowed to defend themselves first.

NGIB makes a great point that you are only blocked because you don't have enough money. If you really want an M-16 or M-60 then you will scrimp and save to get one. The People of NYC, CA, Ill, and a few other nanny commie states are blocked by law from defending themselves. I think that takes a bigger precedence than "I want a MG so I can burn ammo at the range".

Old 04-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My point was that the GCA is just as serious an assault on the 2A as concealed carry regs.

In fact, it may be more so -- the GCA restricts a whole lot more people than the few who are forbidden to carry. If you look at the numbers who would benefit from repealing the GCA, they are far more numerous than the few who would benefit from opening CC in a few more jurisdictions.

You say we can't win in this political climate, but all it takes to change the political climate is citizens willing to do it. The opposition is constantly pushing. Let's not sit back and let them.

You guys won't demand your rights because you don't think you'll get them. But you'll never get them if you don't demand them. It's a pretty simple equation.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoMan View Post
I'd like to buy a machine gun, but they're extremely expensive unless it's a law enforcement purchase.

Let's get it reopened so you can buy machine guns at reasonable prices again, and more people can afford them.
Yup, it's clear to me what your motivation is by the above quotes from your post - you want to be able to afford a machine gun. If you really think this compares in importance to citizens that cannot even carry a gun for defense - shame on you.

I'm done here...

Last edited by NGIB; 04-16-2010 at 06:56 PM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 04-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Wow. You'd think this would be a place to find champions of the second amendment.

My motivation is liberty, and I'm willing to take action to regain lost liberties. Concealed carry is not the only issue relevant to our liberties, and I don't see why I should be ashamed of myself for advancing a multi-front battle to restore them.

I've run into opposition from people who already own a machine gun. They don't want to reopen the registry because it will cause them to lose value. They're willing to trade my liberty for their financial gain. Shame on them.

Tags
knob creek, machine gun registry