Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > the refund proccess

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Posts: 73
Default the refund proccess

I had my hopes up but it seems that the city will allow more than 30! illegal or varianced businesses, but they won't allow mine.
How do I go about getting a refund for my application, the BATF agent wasn't clear.


welcome back to unemployment. thanks government.

__________________

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

mattybock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
silverado113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern,Iowa
Posts: 2,993
Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default

I don't know about the refund have you called the licensing branch? 1-800-788-7133

__________________

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.


Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

silverado113 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mountainman13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 11,525
Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Default

A refund is highly unlikely. What happened city zoning issue?

__________________

I don't need No stinking signature.

mountainman13 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
COF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10
Default

What was the reason the have for denial?

__________________
COF is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
A refund is highly unlikely. What happened city zoning issue?
I was told by the BATF agent that a refund is avaible if the application is denied.
__________________

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

mattybock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COF View Post
What was the reason the have for denial?
It was not a denial by the BATF, but a denial from the city.
You see in the little town in texas in which I live, there are various zones- residential R-1, commercial, etc.
A few weeks ago I called the city and asked if I could run a business from my home. I was told 'yes' by the city secretary. The BATF checked up on this and she was told 'no' by the building inspector... not the zoning guy, so I now have to get written permission from the city.

A week ago I had a sit down with the city building inspector and they said that the business could not exist because businesses are not allowed in my area (R-1 residential).
I pointed out that on my street alone there are 5 businesses run from homes. There are over 30 businesses run from homes in the entire city.
So either someone has gotten a variance, the city is ignoring the 30 illegal businesses, or someone is paying someone off.

I inquired about the other 30 and was told that 'we've never heard of them before'. BULL F*CKING SH*T!

They then changed their story and claimed that my business was not allowed because it was 'retail' (I would have the right to sell firearms), so I pointed out the jewelry maker, the book binder, the plumber who can order you a toilet - their reply was 'well we can't help that, but we'll investigate them'.

They then pulled state law on me and said that it would be illegal due to 'spot zoning.'
Spot zoning means you can't rezone a plot of land surrounded by different zoned land - you can't put a liquor store in the suburbs.

Apparently the zoning law says that the business is spot zoning if the neighbors are inconvenienced. Hell, one of them runs a photograph business and the other parks a 5 ton trailer in the street!

They looked up enough to damned me, but not enough to realize I was in the right! So now I have to have a meeting with the board of adjustments, which will either deny or grant my variance.

They will probably deny - so how do I get my refund of $200 for the denied application?
__________________

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

mattybock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
silverado113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern,Iowa
Posts: 2,993
Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybock View Post
It was not a denial by the BATF, but a denial from the city.
You see in the little town in texas in which I live, there are various zones- residential R-1, commercial, etc.
A few weeks ago I called the city and asked if I could run a business from my home. I was told 'yes' by the city secretary. The BATF checked up on this and she was told 'no' by the building inspector... not the zoning guy, so I now have to get written permission from the city.

A week ago I had a sit down with the city building inspector and they said that the business could not exist because businesses are not allowed in my area (R-1 residential).
I pointed out that on my street alone there are 5 businesses run from homes. There are over 30 businesses run from homes in the entire city.
So either someone has gotten a variance, the city is ignoring the 30 illegal businesses, or someone is paying someone off.

I inquired about the other 30 and was told that 'we've never heard of them before'. BULL F*CKING SH*T!

They then changed their story and claimed that my business was not allowed because it was 'retail' (I would have the right to sell firearms), so I pointed out the jewelry maker, the book binder, the plumber who can order you a toilet - their reply was 'well we can't help that, but we'll investigate them'.

They then pulled state law on me and said that it would be illegal due to 'spot zoning.'
Spot zoning means you can't rezone a plot of land surrounded by different zoned land - you can't put a liquor store in the suburbs.

Apparently the zoning law says that the business is spot zoning if the neighbors are inconvenienced. Hell, one of them runs a photograph business and the other parks a 5 ton trailer in the street!

They looked up enough to damned me, but not enough to realize I was in the right! So now I have to have a meeting with the board of adjustments, which will either deny or grant my variance.

They will probably deny - so how do I get my refund of $200 for the denied application?
Did you say you were applying for an 07 FFL?
__________________

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.


Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

silverado113 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Did you say you were applying for an 07 FFL?

Regular class 1 gunsmith license.
__________________

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

mattybock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
silverado113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eastern,Iowa
Posts: 2,993
Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybock View Post
Regular class 1 gunsmith license.
Ok. Maybe during your board meeting you can let them know that most of your business will be internet based with limited foot traffic. Not saying that is the case but who knows. I'm glad my city isn't this stupid, it was pretty easy to get the okay from them for my 01. Wish you the best!
__________________

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.


Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

silverado113 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 69
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

If you paid the application fee by credit card and are entitled to a refund they will credit the card with which you paid. I'm not sure how refund application fees paid by other means are refunded. As stated above, best bet is to call the licensing center after you've exhausted you zoning appeals. I'm not so sure you're entitled to a refund though. The ATF didn't deny you. It appears as though they were ready to issue the license but you didn't have all your ducks in a row which is no fault of the ATF. Clearing your local zoning should've been done before you put ink to the FFL application.

__________________

Last edited by FFL01user; 08-01-2012 at 03:25 PM.
FFL01user is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Hollow Points recalled; Refund Offered. tCan Ammunition & Reloading 9 10-29-2011 06:29 AM
Where's Your Refund Going?? Dillinger The Club House 32 02-07-2009 03:19 AM