Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Random Questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/random-questions-86365/)

TheSadPanda 03-12-2013 07:41 AM

I know on a semi-automatic AR you have to let off the trigger in order for it to reset, but a full auto doesnt require that. But, is there any sort of trigger "reset" on a full-auto?

Also, say a full auto is empty with no mag. When you pull the trigger the firing pin will drop. If you keep the trigger down and manually cycle the gun, will the firing pin "fire" upon the closing of the bolt?

c3shooter 03-12-2013 12:10 PM

As a matter of fact, one of the function tests performed on the M16 rifle is what you just described- place on full auto, hold down trigger, pull bolt back, release, hammer should drop.

And no, there is no reset on a full auto when in the full auto mode. When on semi, yes, there is.

TheSadPanda 03-12-2013 12:27 PM

Excellent! Thank you very much! :)

c3shooter 03-12-2013 03:37 PM

Actually test is: (IIRC)\
1. Place on safe. Pull trigger should not drop.
2. Place on semi, pull trigger and HOLD it. Hammer should drop. Cycle bolt while holding down trigger, should NOT drop.
3. Place on auto, pull trigger and hold trigger, should drop. Cycle bolt while holding down trigger, should drop. Release trigger, cycle bolt, should NOT drop.

Test for safety, semi and full auto functioning.

TheSadPanda 03-12-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
Actually test is: (IIRC)\
1. Place on safe. Pull trigger should not drop.
2. Place on semi, pull trigger and HOLD it. Hammer should drop. Cycle bolt while holding down trigger, should NOT drop.
3. Place on auto, pull trigger and hold trigger, should drop. Cycle bolt while holding down trigger, should drop. Release trigger, cycle bolt, should NOT drop.

Test for safety, semi and full auto functioning.

Wow, i learned something new today. Time to go home and call it a day.

Sniper03 03-12-2013 04:47 PM

Panda,
C-3 is on the money and a very well explained description. To only add one other thing! If the Semi-Auto Rifle did not
have the reset you feel which is the Disconnector releasing the Hammer to transfer forward to the Sear for the next shot. The rifle would only fire one round since the hammer would follow the bolt back forward with no inertia after the first round!
This due to lets say, the rifle is capable of firing 700 rounds per minute if it did not run dry and we could load it that fast. If the rifle did not have the Disconnector, it would be impossible for the operator to get their finger off the trigger in time and for the trigger to go forward in time to be stopped by the sear! And even if the operator could it would tear up the sear engagement in short order! As it would crash the trigger and the hammer together. That is why the Auto also has a sear/disconnector called an auto sear. If it did not have the auto sear which also acts as a disconnector on the bottom side of the auto sear. Then when the Bolt Carrier comes forward it strikes the top portion of the Auto Sear which then lets the hammer fall in Auto Mode! Otherwise it would also be a single shot.
Well done C-3.

TheSadPanda 03-12-2013 07:57 PM

That makes far too much sense. Also, sear sounds scary. Lets ban those!! Totally kidding.

The reason i ask is because i was wondering if they made an AR that reset the trigger for you. It would work through a physical lever that was activated by say the hammer coming back and pushing the lever. This would allow you to keep your finger on the trigger and keep firing without having to reset yourself, but the trigger is resetting so it would count as separate trigger pulls, thus not an automatic weapon. My only concern is that pulling too hard on the trigger would cause too much resistance on the bolt and could cause malfunctioning. Is this totally ridiculous? Does this even make sense?

orangello 03-12-2013 08:39 PM

I thought if a mechanical device reset or pulled the trigger for you, it wasn't "semi" anymore?

TheSadPanda 03-12-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello
I thought if a mechanical device reset or pulled the trigger for you, it wasn't "semi" anymore?

Im not sure. Thats part of what im asking. But a true fully auto doesnt reset the trigger as we established earlier. So this would be considered a separate type of internals i would think

orangello 03-12-2013 09:23 PM

I think those "slide fire" devices got by because they were powered by the user, not a spring or mechanical device. Interesting idea.