Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Questions on suppressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1038 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Default Questions on suppressors

Is the entire device regulated or is it like an AR where only 1 part is regulated? If so, what is that part?

I'm considering a suppressor again and would like to get one that would work on a .22 and a .223(I believe this is possible, also wanted to confirm it) but I don't want that extra weight on the end of the .22. My theory was if I got a .223 suppressor I could potentially swap out the guts for a lighter .22 version. I wasn't sure if that would be legal/safe/possible.

Then I got to thinking, can I buy one suppressor and have it work on many calibers by swapping out the guts? Would a suppressor tube large enough to work on a .45 be small enough to still allow a sight picture on a .22? I'm just thinking out loud here, anyone have any thoughts or input on this?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

The regulated part is the part that has the serial number. However most centerfire suppressors cant be taken apart. Not just cant but shouldnt. Incorect reassembly can easily lead to baffle strikes possibly injuring bystanders.

Shooting 22lr through a suppressor is very dirty. It will quickly clog a centerfire. Dont fire it through a centerfire suppressor.

The best one out there for ease of cleaning which is the most important factor in a 22lr suppressor is the silencerco ss sparrow.

You can use a larger caliber suppressor on a smaller caliber but suppression performance isnt as good on a small bullet going through a larger suppressor. Generally you cant fire rifle caliner through pistol suppressors. But each suppressor will have a list of calibers it works with.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...