Questions for a FFL
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Questions for a FFL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Questions for a FFL

I want to be able to buy guns and ammunition online , for my own personal use. It seem like a FFL is the way to go. I thought I saw somewhere that you can do it as a collector status. I do not intend on starting a business. Can anyone tell me more about this? I am a newbie here. I was into firearms years ago and want to get back into this but the rules have changed quite abit. Any help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #2

You must live in Illinois if you need an FFL to transfer ammo. Most cities/states you dont need an FFL to buy ammo online. I bought a barrel and slugs couple months back. It was delivered directly to my house.

The process to getting your own FFL license would be too much of a hassle. I'd say just use a local gun shop.

S.S.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
You must live in Illinois if you need an FFL to transfer ammo. Most cities/states you dont need an FFL to buy ammo online. I bought a barrel and slugs couple months back. It was delivered directly to my house.

The process to getting your own FFL license would be too much of a hassle. I'd say just use a local gun shop.

S.S.
Give that man a cigar! IL it is. What a bunch of BS. Guess I'll have to start reloading again. I just can't believe the price of ammo these days. I use to be able to reload a 30-06 for $.09.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8845 Times on 3829 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

Couple of different FFLS. An 01 DEALER FFL covers modern arms, but you must be IN THE BUSINESS to have one. Means business premises, zoned for business, sales tax ID #, business license etc etc etc. An 01 will NOT be issued for "personal use".

The other is an 03 Collector of Curio & Relics FFL (known as a C&R). This is for people that DO NOT intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling firearms. Covers firearms that are 50 yrs old or older, OR- have been designated as C&Rs by the ATF without regard to age- as in ALL Winchester 88s, ALL Colt Woodsman pistols, etc. One page app, $30, good for 3 years, simple record keeping. DOES NOT COVER MODERN ARMS unless they are on the ATF C&R list. Your STATE may have additional laws that can be stricter, but not more lenient.

Most fun you can have for 30 bucks without catching something.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #5

Woot.
I've been looking at gun laws and Illinois took restrictions to a new level. I'd say reloading would be best, especially since you wont need an FFL everytime you want ammo.

S.S.