Question on NICS Delay/Denial - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Question on NICS Delay/Denial

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 186 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

"...bought a few AR lowers the other day..."
This is just a guess, but in some states multiple sales of any gun or, in your case, AR lowers, might have triggered a flag. Multiple sales often are seen as intent to distribute and law enforcement is often interested in such.
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by therukh View Post
"...bought a few AR lowers the other day..."
This is just a guess, but in some states multiple sales of any gun or, in your case, AR lowers, might have triggered a flag. Multiple sales often are seen as intent to distribute and law enforcement is often interested in such.
That is very possible, didn't even think of that. However with people buying 10+ lowers at a time right now due to the possible AWB, I don't think the 3 I got should be a problem.

With that said, I'm going to wait a while before I go through another NICS check just to be safe. My father-in-law is sending me a revolver (from out of state, so it has to go through a FFL), but I'll have him hold off at least a couple of weeks.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Speaking from experience on both sides of this system, a delay is a delay. The phone monkey who answers when your FFL calls is just that, they do not have access to the proper systems to see qhat triggers the delay. That is adjudicated by an officer with more seniority, etc. They review the systems to see what triggered the flag and then respond. It could be the officer made a snap judgement and this was reviewed for QA by a supervisor (common practice) and reversed. Likely nothing at all to worry about.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 215 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 116

It could easily be that you have a common name and a flag may have been kicked up. But after further review the flag may have been found to be false.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #15

So I went through another background check, my father-in-law sent me a wedding present from out of state so I had to pick it up at my LGS. Got delayed again, but this time they just called me on the 4th business day and said I was good to go.

I guess I'm just one of those people that get delayed. I talked to one of my friends and they said they have been delayed every single time they've bought a gun, and he has bought several. I took the course for my CCW and I live in a state that allows a CCW in lieu of a background check, so this should hopefully solve any future problems.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #16

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I get delayed when I buy on weekends or evenings. I have a Govt clearance from 30 yrs ago which means I have an FBI file which = supervisor. Normal business hours M thru F, 5 minute turnaround for NICS/FFL

So much for Saturday impulse buying lol