Question about FFL
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Question about FFL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Question about FFL

I have been thinking about getting a FFL for a little while now. I am still a ways out from actually following through with it, trying to research and plan ahead. Part of my plan is to start from my home. In my research I have read contradicting reports about having a FFL business from your home. Which is can or cant you sell guns from your home with a FFL? Also I live in Kansas if that makes any difference.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #2

Yes, you can obtain a FFL to sell guns from your home, *if and only if* you can operate such a business out of your home with the blessing of your State, County and local governments (and landlord, if you lease!), including zoning or planning board regulations, business licensing and so on. ATF will deny your application if you have not obtained every applicable approval.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

TT- welcome to the forums- and you are absolutely correct. Stop by the intro thread and say howdy when you get a chance.

There are several different FFLS- to be licensed as an 01 FFL (Dealer) you MUST be in compliance with all state and local laws (including zoning that will permit you to operate a business) AND you must intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns. That has been defined as "deviting time and attention to making a livelihood." You will NOT get an 01 FFL just for personal use.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Welcome, as stated you will need a letter from your town or city clerk stating thsat you may runa firearms business from your premises.

Good luck with with your new venture

See my post for some helpful info: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/ffl-how-40660/

KB Firearms 607-437-2835 keithb078@yahoo.com

Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for your replys and clearing that up. Now that you have mentioned it I doubt my house is zoned for a business as I live in a large neighborhood. The main reason I wanted to start out of the house is because I would hate to sign a lease on a business building and be denied the FFL. Then be stuck with the lease with no business.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 PM   #6

It's possible that you can obtain a variance from your zoning authorities, particularly if your business is, say, a web-based firearms sales business which has no walk-in traffic and few to no deliveries (drop-ship from distributors to receiving FFLs, receive your shipments at a UPS Store, etc.)

Old 08-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok thanks for that tip as well. Since you guys seem to know about this I will ask you to clear up another contradicting report. I have read a couple different places that your FFL could be revoked if you dont make a certain number of gun sales per year. #1 is this true? #2 if it is true what is that magic number? As always my research has been mostly on the web and I know how that info can be. But people here seem to shoot it straight. Thanks again guys.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1470

1. Yes, it is true. 2. I know of no one magic number. The purpose of an 01 Dealer's FFL is for people "engaging in the business"- not to buy guns for yourself.

A part-time dealer will sell fewer than a 7 day a week 9-9 gun shop. You may also sell at gun shows in your home state. This would be discussed with you by the ATF inspector that will come out to meet with you prior to your getting a license.

One possible source of revenue for you that will also boost your count is handling transfers for people in your area that are buying/ selling on websites, such as Gunbroker, Auctionarms, GunsAmerica, etc. The first two sites permit FFLs to register with them as being willing to serve as transfer FFLs.

If you don't know the term- I am not a FFL, live in your town, buy a gun from a delaer in another state. He must send it TO a FFL in my home state. I go to you, you send the seller your FFL info- He ships gun to you (I already paid him for gun). When gun arrives, you call me, I come to you, you do the same paperwork as if I were buying a gun in your shop. including the background check. When I clear, I pay you your fee (typically $20-$40, higher in some areas) take my gun, go home. You will have logged that gun into and out of your books- and that counts for the ATF numbers.

One bit of advice you did not ask for- incorporate your business. If there is a legal/ liability issue, I can only go after assets of the corporation. Not your house, your car, your kid's college fund. Insurance is also a real good idea- see the NRA.

Some smaller dealers do a lot of their selling on the internet (NOT Ebay, not Craigslist)- in that case, you as a SELLER would be shipping to a FFL in the buyer's home state. Again, the numbers of your record book count for the ATF.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.