Question about AR lowers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Question about AR lowers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Question about AR lowers

As a dealer, I've been selling stripped lowers. On the 4473 form for type of firearm, I list them as "receiver". I also list them as "receiver" in my A&D book. When calling NICS, I say sale of other. I assume I'm doing this correctly?

I had a guy ask if these lowers were "registered". I assumed he meant if he had to complete a 4473, but he was meaning if he had to use the lowers for only a rifle build or if he could use them for a pistol. I told him he could build either, but that I had read that a rifle build would always have to stay a rifle, it couldn't be changed back to a pistol.

Then I got to thinking, why though? Say a guy builds a rifle and decides he wants a pistol instead. Why can't the guy disassemble the gun, sell the stock and buffer tube and put a pistol tube on and rebarrel the upper? As long as there is no stock present in the home, there's no way to show intent for an SBR, right? And since the lower was bought stripped and sold as a receiver, there's no record that it was neither a rifle nor a pistol, right?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

makes sense to me. but im just a fly on the wall. i know nothing.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

my question:

if your in the business of buying selling firearms and firearms parts, why do you not have access to an attourney??

anyway, you need to call the atf ffl hotline and ask the exact wording that goes in the box for a reciever.

from what i understand "other" goes in the box, but im not the batfe agent that will be serving your fines or arrest warrant for getting it wrong...

forums are not the place to get help with legal issues. just my opinion

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #4

I'm asking how other dealers are doing this. The 4473 form and my AD book has a parentheses that gives examples of what to put for type of type of firearm and both show "receiver" as an acceptable type.

I was mainly wondering about why the common advise given is that rifles can only ever be rifles and cannot be made into pistols.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2645 Times on 1843 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Recycling a virgin lower is legal in itself. It may be a hassle to prove the "original" virginity if need be. The rules are obscure and subject to change. Many builders feel that testing the system is not worth the effort.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:42 PM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I know Im not answering your question but I look at it like this . With as cheap as lowers are and LPKs . A person could have $125-$150 in a complete pistol lower with pistol buffer tube . Why even take the chance and the time swapping that crap back and forth, just build another and be worry free, not to mention you have another complete gun

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Well I gave the guy the safe advice, but after he left I got to thinking about the why of it.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #8

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I know Im not answering your question but I look at it like this . With as cheap as lowers are and LPKs . A person could have $125-$150 in a complete pistol lower with pistol buffer tube . Why even take the chance and the time swapping that crap back and forth, just build another and be worry free, not to mention you have another complete gun
I agree. Law is open for various interpretations so I'd rather not convert a rifle or pistol the other way.

All my stripped lowers have been classified as "other" on the 4473.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1889 Times on 1047 Posts
Likes Given: 5679

Although the laws are stupid, they are usually clear and have precedent to follow.
A receiver built as a rifle is a rifle receiver and will always be a rifle receiver until the BATF blesses/declares/redefines the rifle receiver as something else.

Even if 'no-one' knows, the event took place and it a rifle receiver. Sad but true.

I photograph the pistol build with the serial number showing and the paperwork visible for any new build. One pistol build is currently configured as a rifle 16"bbl with Tapco 6pos stock.
I am confident that I have done the best I can to avoid problems. Even if no-one knows, there might be a 'dna' type tool in the future and they will come back and prosticutify you.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #10

The stripped lowers I sell are not declared rifle receivers or pistol receivers. They are what people refer to as "virgin" lowers.