Private seller to ffl - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Private seller to ffl

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL01user View Post
Where does it say this?
It came out in the November 2008 newsletter. It is just a suggestion, but I think it's a good one. They don't have an A&D book so what would be the need for a copy of the license when given the fflezcheck and the first 3 and last five can give them the info needed.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 10-29-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't see how having an A+D book matters. It's a matter of record keeping if one is a licensee or not.
The Nov. '08 newsletter does have a section titled "PROVIDING COPIES OF FEDERAL LICENSEES (sic) TO UNLICENSED PERSONS" but it doesn't talk to a licensee providing a non licensee with a copy of his/her license. It states the process for a non licensee buying a firearm and having it transferred between licensees.
I personally wouldn't, but I've seen dealers who post their FFL's online, available for downlaod, so persons can use it to have firearms transferred to that dealer. An FFL copy is only good for shipping firearms to the address on it.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #13

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL01user View Post
I don't see how having an A+D book matters. It's a matter of record keeping if one is a licensee or not.
The Nov. '08 newsletter does have a section titled "PROVIDING COPIES OF FEDERAL LICENSEES (sic) TO UNLICENSED PERSONS" but it doesn't talk to a licensee providing a non licensee with a copy of his/her license. It states the process for a non licensee buying a firearm and having it transferred between licensees.
I personally wouldn't, but I've seen dealers who post their FFL's online, available for downlaod, so persons can use it to have firearms transferred to that dealer. An FFL copy is only good for shipping firearms to the address on it.
That's part of the reason someone needs a FFL Copy is for the A&D if shipping a firearm. As a FFL you just have to verify it's an active FFL if you're receiving a firearm there is no requirement to keep a copy of an FFL if you a receiving a firearm (although it's a good idea). Also there are cases where you can ship to a different address if there is a mailing and shipping address. I belong to a FFL forum where all this stuff is posted if you want to check it out PM me.

Here is what the letter says: A person not licensed under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA), and not prohibited from acquiring firearms, may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm, in-state, if an arrangement is made with a Federal firearms licensee in the purchaser’s State of residence. A firearm may be transferred to the in-state licensee, who then completes the transfer to the unlicensed person, also completing the ATF Form 4473 and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) national Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) requirements.
Section 27 CFR 478.94 requires licensees to verify the identity and licensed status prior to transferring a firearm to a person who states they are licensed to receive it. Verification shall be established by the transferee furnishing to the transferor a certified copy of the transferee’s license and by such other means as the transferor deems necessary…” This section does not apply to transfers between a licensee and an unlicensed person

As I said though it's more of a recommendation than a requirement though.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 11-01-2012 at 01:44 AM.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #14
COF

silverado 113. Can you send me the link to the FFL forum? It says your message box is full.. Cant send PM.

thanks Mike