Private sale procedure for FFL's - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Private sale procedure for FFL's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Oh boohoo you have to do the same thing that I've had to do all along. Quit yer b!tching, you are now guaranteed to make more money. You have no more liability on a transfer than you do on a sale. Oh gosh you have to do 10 minutes of work for $10. If you have an issue with the $10 transfer fee charge a booking fee. Problem solved.
Guaranteed to make more money? I doubt that. I don't se how doing transfers for almost 1/3rd the price will bring in more money. And it's a bit more than 10 minutes to complete a transfer, especially when you add in NY's paperwork requirements. And you're right, the liability is the same whether it's a sale or a transfer. But be assured that on a sale an FFL makes more than $10 which makes that liability a bit more palatable.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I'm buying a gun for my wife, think I will go and have it transfered?
You wouldn't have to as she's immediate family.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL01user View Post

Guaranteed to make more money? I doubt that. I don't se how doing transfers for almost 1/3rd the price will bring in more money. And it's a bit more than 10 minutes to complete a transfer, especially when you add in NY's paperwork requirements. And you're right, the liability is the same whether it's a sale or a transfer. But be assured that on a sale an FFL makes more than $10 which makes that liability a bit more palatable.
I know all about the paperwork. We have to do both state and federal in ma. The per transfer fee may be cut but the amount of transfers will increase. Yes, you make more on a sale than a transfer but there is a lot more time and money invested in a sale as well as potential customer based problems such as returns and mechanical issues. I'm not saying that the government limiting the fee is right, I'm jut saying you're making it a bigger deal than it is. Your aggravation with the situation is understandable but your way of dealing with it is..unprofessional at best. Your first post turned away potential customers. Look to the bright side, you will have more transfers.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Every FFL in the state is dealing with it unprofessionally at best. I reallly don't care about turning away potential customers. I've only heard of one FFL to date that is willing to do transfers for $10. Three times the paperwork and all the liabilility for the same return, no thanks.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2922 Times on 1720 Posts

Your loss. Perhaps you're in the wrong state or wrong business.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #16

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Well, what about the fact that when the transfer happens, that guy might buy some ammo, or another mag, or whatever? And if you're a nice guy, he might become a regular customer and buy everything from you? The more people in your shop, the better, particularly ones who are actually there to do business, not just tire kick.
Around here, on LGS charges $25 to transfer, another charges up to $60. Where do you think I go?

Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Your loss. Perhaps you're in the wrong state or wrong business.
Wrong state by far. I've my regular customers because they know they get the best service that can be had with attention to their needs. I'm sure you and the rest of the FFL's in your state will be full of glee if/when you get hit with the same mandates (which I hope doesn't happen).

Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=clr8ter;1179643]Well, what about the fact that when the transfer happens, that guy might buy some ammo, or another mag, or whatever? /QUOTE]

We're talking NY here... Ammo? Background checks will soon be required to purchase ammo. Persons will be driving out of state or having friends/family ship it in to them if it can even be had. Another mag? In a few weeks there will be barely any magazines that are legal in NY. The whole point has been that you all should be aware that this can and might be coming to a state near you. And I'm sure you'll all be as happy about it as we are here in NY...

Last edited by FFL01user; 03-17-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #19

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Mmmm, I don't think that sort of silliness is coming to NH (courtesy of the state, anyway) any time soon. Sounds like you need a new job, for several reasons.....

Old 03-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

FFL
As a Ny resident I would avoid you and anyone else with that attitude. So now if I basically can't transferr a gun. Cuomo wins !