Private sale procedure for FFL's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Private sale procedure for FFL's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Private sale procedure for FFL's

As of 3/15 here in NY private sales of firearms are no longer allowed. All private sales must now be facilitated by an FFL. Due to some mandates by NY, there have been many questions as to the procedure. We now have the answers. The ATF has changed the procedure which effects private sales done by FFL's nationwide. The ATF open letter on private sales can be found at the following link. The new procedure can be found by following the link in the newly added notation at the top of the page.
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/procedures/031513-open-letter-atf-procedure-2013-1.pdf
If anyone is interested, the new NY regulations on private transfers can be found at http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/private-sale
NY has mandated that FFL's can charge no more than $10 to facilitate a private transfer. I don't know of an FFL that'll do a transfer for $10. This one won't be doing them. This effectively ends all private transfers in NY. Hopefully, this won't be coming to a state near you anytime soon but all should remain vigilant!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL01user View Post
As of 3/15 here in NY private sales of firearms are no longer allowed. All private sales must now be facilitated by an FFL. Due to some mandates by NY, there have been many questions as to the procedure. We now have the answers. The ATF has changed the procedure which effects private sales done by FFL's nationwide. The ATF open letter on private sales can be found at the following link. The new procedure can be found by following the link in the newly added notation at the top of the page.
http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/procedures/031513-open-letter-atf-procedure-2013-1.pdf
If anyone is interested, the new NY regulations on private transfers can be found at http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/private-sale
NY has mandated that FFL's can charge no more than $10 to facilitate a private transfer. I don't know of an FFL that'll do a transfer for $10. This one won't be doing them. This effectively ends all private transfers in NY. Hopefully, this won't be coming to a state near you anytime soon but all should remain vigilant!
I don't like the new requirements either but sounds to me like you are playing right into the state's hands by refusing to do the transfers. Am I missing something or is watching someone fill out some forms worth more than the $10 you can charge? It's your business and your decision but if you were to tell me that you refuse to facilitate a private transfer because the fees aren't high enough, I wouldn't buy so much as a box of .22lr from you in the future. JMHO.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 03-16-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Gatoragn Likes This 
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1203 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I don't like the new requirements either but sounds to me like you are playing right into the state's hands by refusing to do the transfers. Am I missing something or is watching someone fill out some forms worth more than the $10 you can charge? It's your business and your decision but if you were to tell me that you refuse to facilitate a private transfer because the fees aren't high enough, I wouldn't buy so much as a box of .22lr from you in the future. JMHO.
I concur,

Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

That's easy for you to say when you have no liability forever riding on the transfer. I don't think you'll find an FFL anywhere in the country that's doing transfers for $10. Add in the NY state reporting requirements, just in time alone it's not worth $10. I, nor any other NY FFL that I know of, is going to be someones transfer bitch for $10 just so we can say "take that Cuomo".

Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #5

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Putting on a mandatory cap of $10 dollars for a transfer is obviously a provision the governor added in bad faith to make private transfers practically impossible.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 03-17-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

The referenced letter is date stamped "Jan 16 2013", and they were putting a policy in place before a committee recommendation in March?

How many other things have they foreseen?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1203 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL01user View Post
That's easy for you to say when you have no liability forever riding on the transfer. I don't think you'll find an FFL anywhere in the country that's doing transfers for $10. Add in the NY state reporting requirements, just in time alone it's not worth $10. I, nor any other NY FFL that I know of, is going to be someones transfer bitch for $10 just so we can say "take that Cuomo".
I agree the free market should set the rate that is charged. My preferred LGS charges $20 for a long gun or an "other", $30 for a handgun. The handgun costs more because the State of WI runs a state BG check and charges a fee for it. No WI state fee on transfers that do not involve a handgun.

However, I would support my transferring dealer with ammo, accessory and even gun purchases in the scenario originally described.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Oh boohoo you have to do the same thing that I've had to do all along. Quit yer b!tching, you are now guaranteed to make more money. You have no more liability on a transfer than you do on a sale. Oh gosh you have to do 10 minutes of work for $10. If you have an issue with the $10 transfer fee charge a booking fee. Problem solved.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #9

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Although I do believe that this is something put in place to deter gun sales it just may open a new business opportunity for homespun FFL's those who don't really want to sell guns but are willing to pose as the "official" transfer station for two private sellers. No overhead, possibly a booth at local gun shows. When one door closes another one opens. Personally I do not believe that it's a law that can be enforced or very likely to be followed. I'm buying a gun for my wife, think I will go and have it transfered?

Old 03-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The referenced letter is date stamped "Jan 16 2013", and they were putting a policy in place before a committee recommendation in March?How many other things have they foreseen?
The ATF open letter dated 1/16/13 was nothing new. It's the addendum dated 3/15/13 that is new.