You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Please Help - Question on License vs. Tax Stamp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MoHawk's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 2,436
Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Default Please Help - Question on License vs. Tax Stamp

I've been doing some research on the ATF website and browsing this site some. Do I need an FFL to purchase a Class III weapon? I ask because I do NOT intend to sell weapons, just purchase them for my own enjoyment. And I found a sweet AOW shotty with a 6" barrel that I just have to have. So, how do I go about getting the ok to purchase it? Also, can I carry it with my concealed weapons permit?
Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.
MoHawk is offline  
Reply With Quote

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
c3shooter's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 21,235
Liked 16339 Times on 6740 Posts
Likes Given: 2663


First there are 7 different kinds of a FFL- a dealer is ONE of them- HOWEVER- No, you do not need to have a Federal Firearms License to PURCHASE a Class III firearm. Matter of fact, you can't GET on 01 FFL unless you can show you intend to ENGAGE IN THE BUSINESS of buying and selling guns. Can you carry it? Depends on your state law- the AOW you describe is a handgun. Check w/ your state licensing agency. You buy one like any other gun, EXCEPT- you must have it transferred to you by a dealer that has a FFL, with a Class III endorsement- not all dealers do. You will need to apply to the BATFE for approval of the transfer. You wil need to submit a fingerprint card, and approval from your local chief law enforcement officer, along with payment of the transfer tax ($200 for a full auto, SBS, suppressor, etc- $5 for an AOW) . Bottom line- find a Class III dealer in your home state, and he will guide you. Oh- and be prepared to wait.
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
50 Cal. round head stamp willshoum Ammunition & Reloading 8 02-03-2013 04:02 PM
Class 3 tax stamp gumby NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 17 06-11-2010 04:53 PM
Time stamp on here seems to be fast michiana The Club House 4 08-16-2009 03:57 PM
Found New Obama Stamp ScottG The Club House 2 07-30-2009 01:18 AM