Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Parental signature (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/parental-signature-72513/)

Huntingtimeadventures 09-16-2012 03:56 AM

Parental signature

Hi everyone, i was wondering if in the state of Massachusetts if you could get a firearm with a parental signature. Im getting my fid soon.

ineverFTF 09-16-2012 03:59 AM

First off welcome to FTF. Stop by the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself.

As far as i know, nobody under the age of 18 may purchase a long gun. Now if you have your parents 400$ and they have there card or whatever you need in MA then they can buy you a rifle, and "gift" it to you. Making it legally your gun, under there name.

I am no expert, someone please correct me if i am wrong.

kytowboater 09-16-2012 04:11 AM

Welcome to FTF. Make sure it's all done legal. And not a "straw purchase" which is IIEGAL!

c3shooter 09-16-2012 01:30 PM

The issue is not only State law, but FEDERAL law. Persons under 18 may not buy a firearm from a dealer, and you must be 21 to buy anything but a rifle or shotgun. In any state. Title 18, US Code, Section 922.

A "strawman" sale (which is illegal) is when someone else buys a gun on your behalf. A legit GIFT (say, from your parents) is NOT a strawman sale.

Fathead00 09-16-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
The issue is not only State law, but FEDERAL law. Persons under 18 may not buy a firearm from a dealer, and you must be 21 to buy anything but a rifle or shotgun. In any state. Title 18, US Code, Section 922.

A "strawman" sale (which is illegal) is when someone else buys a gun on your behalf. A legit GIFT (say, from your parents) is NOT a strawman sale.

Isn't that still a "strawman" deal when his parents are really going there to buy it for him? They weren't going there to by a gun, he was the one wanting it.

c3shooter 09-16-2012 05:33 PM

Strawman sale-

My neighbor Fathead know zip about guns. He knows I am going to a gunshow, and he gives me $500 to buy a gun for him. STRAWMAN SALE.

My neighbor Fathead cut my grass all summer while I was in a cast, and looked after the goat for two weeks. Other than fooling around with his lady in the movie theater, a real good guy. He has been admiring a rifle I have. I go buy one and GIVE it to him- NOT a strawman sale. Bonafide gift.

I give Dad $250, and he adds in $250 to buy a Ruger Mk III for me. STRAWMAN sale- even though we are related, he bought a gun ON MY BEHALF- not as a present.

FFL01user 09-16-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fathead00 (Post 943067)
Isn't that still a "strawman" deal when his parents are really going there to buy it for him? They weren't going there to by a gun, he was the one wanting it.

No...

Q: May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?
Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.

[18 U.S.C. 922(x)]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#parent-purchases

Fathead00 09-16-2012 08:54 PM

I'm sorry!! I'm still seeing a strawman sale. The kid can't buy it, so the parents go buy it and then gift it!! I see strawman in my eyes. If I couldn't buy and you knew that, then you go buy it and gift it to me than that's OK. Yes or no?

c3shooter 09-16-2012 11:47 PM

A person under the age of 21 may possess a handgun- subject to state law. They may not buy one from a dealer.

My step-brother, and the other hand, may not POSSESS a handgun (bad judgment in his youth) Convicted felon.

I can GIVE a handgun to my granddaughter. I cannot give one to my stepbrother.

If young man gives money to parents to buy a gun FOR him- not legal.
If young man has parents that use their money and buy a handgun AS A GIFT for him- that is legal.

Splitting legal hairs here, but that is the guidance from the ATF as I understand it. The link that FFL01user kindly posted takes you to that section. Also, on the form 4473, the question is "Are you the actual purchaser?".

Garadex 09-18-2012 02:15 AM

I don't know about MA but here in Kommiefornia I got my Mosin as a gift from my parents and they are "gifting" me a handgun unofficially until my 18th birthday as a present for my senior year.