ordering and selling paperwork, stepxstep
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > ordering and selling paperwork, stepxstep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.
Default ordering and selling paperwork, stepxstep

Hello!
This is my first post on this forum.

My name is Matt and I'm getting my FFL forms are waiting processing as we speak... type, and I have a question for the older folks who do the process on a regular basis.
I've my zoning all worked out and I'll be selling guns on a one by one, as ordered basis, from my home as well as doing some gunsmithing as the need comes by. I live in Texas, so there is no state registration to worry about, or at least none that I know of.

My question is, can anyone detail for me, and for potential future readers, the step by step process of ordering a firearm that a customer wants and selling the firearm to them, with all necessary forms mentioned?

So far my understanding of the process is this; Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- customer calls me and says he wants a rifle
- I check the distributors and find the lowest price.
- we agree on the price and he pays for the rifle
- I order it and we wait
- rifle comes in, he picks it up.

That is my understanding, but you'll notice the big glaring omission - NO PAPERWORK!

I don't know which forms to print and fill out, which to have him fill out, what the distributor wants, etc.!

Can anyone set me straight on the ordering and selling process?
Thank you so much.

were there is a will, there is a way, even if it's not easily recognizable.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2873 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

I would have a written form specifying what the customer ordered and how much (include shipping and sales tax) before ordering.

It would not be the first time when a customer says "That is not what I ordered!", and you are stuck with a firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I would have a written form specifying what the customer ordered and how much (include shipping and sales tax) before ordering.

It would not be the first time when a customer says "That is not what I ordered!", and you are stuck with a firearm.

That makes a lot of sense.
You see, my problem is the legal paperwork. Does the BATF mandate that a specific form be used, or is it up to the gunsmith/dealer to make his or her own?

This little place in Mesquite used to be called Ammo Depot, now in Caddo Mills, I think.
When I was younger I collected old bolt rifles from the military surplus rack, my dad paid for them, but he gifted them to me.
Every single time he filled out what I think was a standardized form, but I don't know about that.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You have to fill out a form 4473. You can order them here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/dcof/ .
Of course you will also need to record the transaction in your A&D book. Here is an example of one of them:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/641795/firearms-acquisition-and-disposition-record-book-book

Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sorry, but I thought you were aware of the required 4473 and the A&D book.

The best place to seek answers on policy and procedure as required by the BATF is the BATF.

Put their website as a favorite. They have a large FAQ area and forms readily available. And a program that is downloadable for the 4473 that can be run on a stand alone computer with printer attached. Talk to your CPA / Tax expert on using such a computer and printer as a tax write off. With permission from the BATF, you could also keep your A&D in a database form.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Last edited by danf_fl; 05-15-2012 at 11:51 PM.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Not to be a downer. But it sounds like you still have a lot to figure out and get in order before you get the atf visit.
If you already put your application in you have a lot of work to do.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #7

I was away of the bound book requirement, but I was not aware of the form. And yes, I have a long way to go before I get this all down and permanent.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Add this to your favorites:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/industry/

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You'll be alright man. Do alot of reading on the ATF sight like has already been suggested. Write down any questions that come to mind as you are going through all that and have a nic list of those questions written up when the inspector comes. If yours is anything like mine he/she will be happy to answer anything. I just had my interview yesterday, I was as nervous as you can possibly get, expecting a hard case and I basically got a school teacher, lol.
They are going to give you a great deal of information when you have your interview as well.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Matt, there is a difference between the ATF required forms and what you choose to use business wise. The 4473 is a mandated form and is used for all firearm purchases and transfers. The acquisitions & dispositions form is something that is used to record every gun that comes in and where it ends up. This is also required record keeping. I found a great A&D form that does the job nicely and I'd be glad to provide a copy to you to use.

Your business records are something that differs from shop to shop and you'll have to make decisions on how you choose to keep those records. These are important to keep track of what is for whom, tax records, etc.

I'm sending you a private message with my phone numbers. Maybe it might be easier to answer your questions real time than piecemeal.