Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (
-   -   ordering and selling paperwork, stepxstep (

mattybock 05-15-2012 08:45 PM

ordering and selling paperwork, stepxstep
This is my first post on this forum. :)

My name is Matt and I'm getting my FFL forms are waiting processing as we speak... type, and I have a question for the older folks who do the process on a regular basis.
I've my zoning all worked out and I'll be selling guns on a one by one, as ordered basis, from my home as well as doing some gunsmithing as the need comes by. I live in Texas, so there is no state registration to worry about, or at least none that I know of.

My question is, can anyone detail for me, and for potential future readers, the step by step process of ordering a firearm that a customer wants and selling the firearm to them, with all necessary forms mentioned?

So far my understanding of the process is this; Please correct me if I'm wrong.

- customer calls me and says he wants a rifle
- I check the distributors and find the lowest price.
- we agree on the price and he pays for the rifle
- I order it and we wait
- rifle comes in, he picks it up.

That is my understanding, but you'll notice the big glaring omission - NO PAPERWORK!

I don't know which forms to print and fill out, which to have him fill out, what the distributor wants, etc.!

Can anyone set me straight on the ordering and selling process?
Thank you so much.

danf_fl 05-15-2012 09:41 PM

I would have a written form specifying what the customer ordered and how much (include shipping and sales tax) before ordering.

It would not be the first time when a customer says "That is not what I ordered!", and you are stuck with a firearm.

mattybock 05-15-2012 11:14 PM


Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 802868)
I would have a written form specifying what the customer ordered and how much (include shipping and sales tax) before ordering.

It would not be the first time when a customer says "That is not what I ordered!", and you are stuck with a firearm.

That makes a lot of sense.
You see, my problem is the legal paperwork. Does the BATF mandate that a specific form be used, or is it up to the gunsmith/dealer to make his or her own?

This little place in Mesquite used to be called Ammo Depot, now in Caddo Mills, I think.
When I was younger I collected old bolt rifles from the military surplus rack, my dad paid for them, but he gifted them to me.
Every single time he filled out what I think was a standardized form, but I don't know about that.

roughneck266 05-15-2012 11:30 PM

You have to fill out a form 4473. You can order them here: .
Of course you will also need to record the transaction in your A&D book. Here is an example of one of them:

danf_fl 05-15-2012 11:49 PM

Sorry, but I thought you were aware of the required 4473 and the A&D book.

The best place to seek answers on policy and procedure as required by the BATF is the BATF.

Put their website as a favorite. They have a large FAQ area and forms readily available. And a program that is downloadable for the 4473 that can be run on a stand alone computer with printer attached. Talk to your CPA / Tax expert on using such a computer and printer as a tax write off. With permission from the BATF, you could also keep your A&D in a database form.

mountainman13 05-15-2012 11:57 PM

Not to be a downer. But it sounds like you still have a lot to figure out and get in order before you get the atf visit.
If you already put your application in you have a lot of work to do.

mattybock 05-16-2012 12:03 AM

I was away of the bound book requirement, but I was not aware of the form. And yes, I have a long way to go before I get this all down and permanent. :)

danf_fl 05-16-2012 12:10 AM

Add this to your favorites:

roughneck266 05-16-2012 12:14 AM

You'll be alright man. Do alot of reading on the ATF sight like has already been suggested. Write down any questions that come to mind as you are going through all that and have a nic list of those questions written up when the inspector comes. If yours is anything like mine he/she will be happy to answer anything. I just had my interview yesterday, I was as nervous as you can possibly get, expecting a hard case and I basically got a school teacher, lol.
They are going to give you a great deal of information when you have your interview as well.

wjnfirearms 05-18-2012 08:33 PM

Matt, there is a difference between the ATF required forms and what you choose to use business wise. The 4473 is a mandated form and is used for all firearm purchases and transfers. The acquisitions & dispositions form is something that is used to record every gun that comes in and where it ends up. This is also required record keeping. I found a great A&D form that does the job nicely and I'd be glad to provide a copy to you to use.

Your business records are something that differs from shop to shop and you'll have to make decisions on how you choose to keep those records. These are important to keep track of what is for whom, tax records, etc.

I'm sending you a private message with my phone numbers. Maybe it might be easier to answer your questions real time than piecemeal.

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:12 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.