Ok in California but not Oregon - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Ok in California but not Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Another update. The gun shop called telling me that the OSP has delayed both guns again for another 1 1/2 months. Thing is, what the OSP is looking for is not on my record, disposition or anything else. The original charges were suspended and the case was closed with me being on probation and the 6 weekends. I have the disposition in hand and took it to a lawyer here and he said that the best thing for me to do is wait until my record is expunged. He also said that the disposition would not clear up anything and most likely just cause more confusion.

In my case, the OSP is looking for something that was never there and never will be. The arrest is there, the punishment is there and even the $25 fine I had to pay and that's it. I expect the same thing is holding up my CHL also.

If you ask me, this is just ridiculous but I'll keep plugging along.

Last edited by Thumb; 04-01-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Just got a call from the gun shop and they(OSP) have denied me. This is very upsetting to me because I have been talking to one of the OSP people and he told me that they would not deny me if I was getting my record expunged. I am going to challenge the denial but I must say, i no longer have any respect for the OSP, they blatantly lied to me. All I can say now is amazing, just amazing.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #23
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Thanks for the update. Keep copies of any and all records.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, here's probably the last update on this matter. The OSP called me back and told me outright that I have been completely denied and can not even challenge their decision. I can not and will not support a state that allows this kind of action and have put my house up for sale. Adios Oregon!

Old 05-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #25

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Sue the crap out of the state.

Blame it on your wife's PMS, somehow.

PC judges eat that $#!+ right up with

a spoon.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 241 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Maybe you could have Calif expunge your record since the offense was committed there ? There may be a problem from one state government to the next. When you leave Oregon, what will prevent your new state from doing the same thing all over again?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Well, here's probably the last update on this matter. The OSP called me back and told me outright that I have been completely denied and can not even challenge their decision. I can not and will not support a state that allows this kind of action and have put my house up for sale. Adios Oregon!
So, who'd you piss off? Or is there something more here?
They called you? How about a letter or some sort of supporting documentation for their so-called finding?
Additionally, there is usually a challenge/appeal process in just about every govt process.
Selling the house and skipping town seems a bit extreme. You should get this figured out or it could follow you.
This is why there are lawyers.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It was in Ohio not California. I already started the expungement 6 weeks ago and just waiting for it to go through which my lawyer said could take 3 to 6 months. I have also bought 3 guns in 2 different states with no problems which one of those states was California. It's the way the OSP does their check, they look at what you could have been charged with, not what you actually got. Most states just look at what time you served if any and if it's less than what the law says to purchase a firearm, they let you have it. In other words, the OSP overrides what the court/judges decision was no matter what the outcome. If you ask me that's way too much power to let a police force have.

Overkill, there is nothing more than what I have said before, since it was my first offense they offered me to plead guilty to a misdemeanor with a 3 month probation rather than go to court and possibly get a 6 month to 5 year jail sentence. OSP looks at that and says, oh 5 years is reason to deny.

You say a bit drastic to sell and move, I don't think it is especially when the politicians here lie to your face saying they believe in the 2nd and then vote for laws against it. I've lived here for 11 years now and all I see is the state getting worse and the taxes going up while property goes down. I'm getting out while I still can and have something to take with me.

Last edited by Thumb; 05-07-2013 at 04:03 PM.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 241 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 760

You're right about the taxes. My property value went down and my property taxes increased anyway.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #30

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Another update and it is an amazing one. Although I was denied the purchase of my firearms, I was just notified by the Sheriff's office that my CCL has been approved and I should be getting my card next week. Wow, it took a whole year! Thank god I already own firearms so that I can actually carry now, just can't buy any, how stupid is that?

I also received a letter from my lawyer that my record will be expunged in the very near future also. Finally things are getting straightened out, just to bad the OSP go by their rules and not the law. I am now planning on moving to Nevada so things are looking up and I can say good bye to Oregon.

Thanks to everyone for listening to my rants.