oil filter silencer - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > oil filter silencer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1313 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

chrishiggin29, said it first & not that I would know but these work better, not near as fat or heavy..............

muffler.jpg  

When all else fails.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 AM   #52

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And don't forget to change the "filter" every 2500 to 3000 rounds or so, depends on how hard its used.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #53
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1731 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 9250

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
You know, it's the damnedest thing, but I've owned guns all my fairly long life, carry one concealed every day, and have never felt the slightest urge to fit one with a suppressor!

Weird, I know. But if, God forbid, I have to shoot someone, I expect making noise doing it will be the very least of my worries.

The title "Much Ado About Nothing" comes to mind when I read threads like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
whether it's a glorified pipe fitting or not is irrelevent in the eyes of the BATF. anything you attach to a firearm that suppresses the sound any bit, and you don't have the proper paperwork and tax stamp is illegal. that's a simple fact.

and properly made suppressor is way more exotic than a muffler.

now you can do whatever floats your boat in regards to putting a homemade suppressor on one of your firearms and that's your business. but here on this forum, they do frown upon people promoting or talking about doing thins illegally. just something to think about.
The oil filter suppressor is an interesting concept, but I kind of have to agree with these 2 on the subject. If I have to shoot, noise is the last thing I am worried about. If it has to be quiet, I own a bow, and a crossbow.

that doesn't mean I'm not interested in buying an suppressor if I move into a state where they are allowed, but even then, the oil filter version would just be a sh!ts and grins thing.

Now, food for thought on Axxe's post. Has it dawned on anyone else here that you may be giving tips on how to build a backyard "silencer" on a forum that is public where anyone can see it? Not necessarily illegal, but not something I would advise. The alphabet soup in D.C. could misinterpret what your intent may be, and we could ALL be in hot water because of it.

Not a lawyer, just trying to pass the word on. CYA.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #54
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Technology today, can eliminate any sound, at the source with a microphone, speaker, and a computer driven amp to precisely measure the sound, and instantly flood the sound with the sound waves that cancel out the sound. With a sub sonic round, not generating a sonic boom the length of the trajectory, such a device, would render any firearm 100% whisper quiet.

A pin drop would be louder.

This device, not touching the gun in any way, would be an interesting interpretation of batf rules about sound supressors.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #55

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Hickok45 did a video on this

http://youtu.be/7t_pcWPdSDs

RRA Predator Pursuit 20"
RRA Entry Tactical
G21SF,G23,G27
10/22, MKII

Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufford1 View Post
And don't forget to change the "filter" every 2500 to 3000 rounds or so, depends on how hard its used.
Is that for city shooting or highway shooting? <grin>

Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #57

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Technology today, can eliminate any sound, at the source with a microphone, speaker, and a computer driven amp to precisely measure the sound, and instantly flood the sound with the sound waves that cancel out the sound. With a sub sonic round, not generating a sonic boom the length of the trajectory, such a device, would render any firearm 100% whisper quiet.

A pin drop would be louder.

This device, not touching the gun in any way, would be an interesting interpretation of batf rules about sound supressors.
They use simular sound surpession systems in some high end cars,

As to guns... the down side is it would be large (think $500 dollar cars with their $3,000 boom boom amp), heavy, not portable, and power requirements...
Basically it although doable would require a small trailer load of equipment to make it practical, but still not very concealable.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #58
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1731 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 9250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Is that for city shooting or highway shooting? <grin>
Funny, I was wondering the same thing. Would that be the regular change schedule, or the "severe duty" one?

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #59

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Another good question is in my evil black rifle that shoots those horrid heat seeking, thermo nuclear warhead tipped ammunitions would it be better to run synthetic or just a straight 30 weight?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #60

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I'm an FFL 'SOT Dealer.I have some experience with the adapter and oil filter 'cans'
Yeah, they work as far as decibel reduction to an extent, but forget about using sights or anyhting close to accuracy(on a pistol in particular) unless you mount it on a long gun with extra high rings, you may be able to aim over the can
My 2 centavos: If you want a suppressor, buy it through your local Class III Dealer and do it right.
Before all of the recent pointless shootings we have experienced in the past year, The NFA was planning to make silencers an AOW
You would still have to pay the $5 transfer tax, for an AOW, which is reasonable compared to Class III $200 transfer stamp,but you would do the paperwork and pay the Dealer and be able to walk out with your new silencer.Since all the gun control bull,I have not heard any further talk about making silencers AOW's.They should be