Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > oil filter silencer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
You know, it's the damnedest thing, but I've owned guns all my fairly long life, carry one concealed every day, and have never felt the slightest urge to fit one with a suppressor!

Weird, I know. But if, God forbid, I have to shoot someone, I expect making noise doing it will be the very least of my worries.

The title "Much Ado About Nothing" comes to mind when I read threads like this.
I agree with you. They are big and ugly. Make the gun rather unwieldy. Ear plugs are pretty cheap to purchase.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Devin556 Likes This 
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #42

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
just to be clear on this. anything you put on any firearm that reduces or suppresses the sound level even one decibel, that you have not applied or recieved a tax stamp for is illegal. doesn't matter whether you went to the hardware store and bought a pipe fitting or ordered one from one of the suppressor makers is irrelevent. if you put a two liter coke bottle on the end of your pistol and attach it with duct tape, then you have committed a felony. just something for people to think about.
The point that we have been not to vague on, is that a suppressor is nothing more exotic than a small engine muffler, is in no way a weapon dangerous or otherwise, even if someone one were to beat you with it would not do as much damage as hands and feet!!! Yet they regulate it, $200. fee it, even if it is the glorified pipe fitting!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldazagged View Post
You know, it's the damnedest thing, but I've owned guns all my fairly long life, carry one concealed every day, and have never felt the slightest urge to fit one with a suppressor!

Weird, I know. But if, God forbid, I have to shoot someone, I expect making noise doing it will be the very least of my worries.

The title "Much Ado About Nothing" comes to mind when I read threads like this.
A suppressor is not for CC, way too bulky, difficult to holster, to draw, or to attach in a pinch, AKA awkward, they are for the fun factor

It is a huge giggle to go out in the backyard, and run a mag unencumbered by any sweaty hearing protection, with the only sound you hear is the action operating and the clank the round makes as it hits the steel target, way cool is all I have to say

On a side note in the EU it is considered bad form and out right rude to shoot a unsuppressed gun, is required to own (in the areas that still allow guns that is) and can be bought cheaply, with no government regulation...
All that from a government this regulation insane...

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-29-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #43
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1748 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

They regulate it for the purpose of generating some form of registration for weapons. "Let's see, Joe Blow here has a suppressor for an AR-15. That sounds like reasonable cause to search his place for the (someday in the future) illegal weapon. Let's go confiscate some more guns..."

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #44

Liked 256 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I never said there was any real world use for this, just a fun fact to know, and to play around with. The only reason I want one is so I can shoot with my 2 year old son outside with me cuz he wont keep ears on for nothing. Also for those pesky armadillos at midnight when I don't want to wake up the entire neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #45

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
I never said there was any real world use for this, just a fun fact to know, and to play around with. The only reason I want one is so I can shoot with my 2 year old son outside with me cuz he wont keep ears on for nothing. Also for those pesky armadillos at midnight when I don't want to wake up the entire neighborhood.
Cheaper and easier idea...
Bought a .22 lr conversion bolt for my M-4 style Bushmaster,adjustable stock, inexpensive to shoot and buy, it installs in seconds, almost 0 recoil, and it is almost as quiet as a silenced gun.
I was shooting at snapping turtles in my fish pond, and the plunk the bullet made as it entered the water was louder than the guns discharge, and yes the action cycle is louder than the bang..

Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM   #46
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
The point that we have been not to vague on, is that a suppressor is nothing more exotic than a small engine muffler, is in no way a weapon dangerous or otherwise, even if someone one were to beat you with it would not do as much damage as hands and feet!!! Yet they regulate it, $200. fee it, even if it is the glorified pipe fitting!!!!

A suppressor is not for CC, way too bulky, difficult to holster, to draw, or to attach in a pinch, AKA awkward, they are for the fun factor

It is a huge giggle to go out in the backyard, and run a mag unencumbered by any sweaty hearing protection, with the only sound you hear is the action operating and the clank the round makes as it hits the steel target, way cool is all I have to say

On a side note in the EU it is considered bad form and out right rude to shoot a unsuppressed gun, is required to own (in the areas that still allow guns that is) and can be bought cheaply, with no government regulation...
All that from a government this regulation insane...
whether it's a glorified pipe fitting or not is irrelevent in the eyes of the BATF. anything you attach to a firearm that suppresses the sound any bit, and you don't have the proper paperwork and tax stamp is illegal. that's a simple fact.

and properly made suppressor is way more exotic than a muffler.

now you can do whatever floats your boat in regards to putting a homemade suppressor on one of your firearms and that's your business. but here on this forum, they do frown upon people promoting or talking about doing thins illegally. just something to think about.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #47

Liked 256 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
whether it's a glorified pipe fitting or not is irrelevent in the eyes of the BATF. anything you attach to a firearm that suppresses the sound any bit, and you don't have the proper paperwork and tax stamp is illegal. that's a simple fact.

and properly made suppressor is way more exotic than a muffler.

now you can do whatever floats your boat in regards to putting a homemade suppressor on one of your firearms and that's your business. but here on this forum, they do frown upon people promoting or talking about doing thins illegally. just something to think about.
no one has said anything about doing anything illegal here. No one has said they was going to make their own and screw the ATF. I've talked about how easy it would be to do that but I've also said that it would be illegal and shouldn't be done. This is just a thread about something that is legal with the right paperwork and kinda neat in its own little way. Now if someone was to post how they just made their own and went out and blasted away with it then people should be concerned about it being on the forum, until then I don't see how anything that's been said on here is illegal.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #48

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556
can't paint it black, then it would be dangerous.
Statistics show that a black gun is 5x more dangerous than a wood stock gun. it also allows the use of baby seeking bullets and 25% more satanic rituals than a normal gun. JK
Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #49
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20864 Times on 11858 Posts
Likes Given: 52398

well i'll just exit out of this conversation and let all of you have at it.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #50

Liked 333 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
They regulate it for the purpose of generating some form of registration for weapons. "Let's see, Joe Blow here has a suppressor for an AR-15. That sounds like reasonable cause to search his place for the (someday in the future) illegal weapon. Let's go confiscate some more guns..."
along the same lines as this.... a couple years ago a local PD ran a promotion, "get free gun locks to keep your gun safe, as many as you want, just give us your name & address." what they actually did was put all these names in a database so if a 911 call comes from one of these addresses, they know how many firearms may be on the property.

I personally don't get why a suppressor needs all the regulations they have, with that said, i'm not willing to risk a possible felony & ruined life to take a shortcut around the laws.

I talked to a guy at the range last summer that suppressed his Savage 10 in .223, said he used it for prairie dog hunting. he could pop them easily past 100 yards without them hearing the shot that got 'em.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

People Like This