oil filter silencer - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > oil filter silencer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

a $200. tax stamp for something that amounts to nothing more than a federally controlled thread adapter... something you can buy for your home plumbing at any hardware store for less than 5 bucks...

Yes they work, are bulky to use, and is cheap other than the tax stamp that is...

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 03-26-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #22

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
something you can buy for your home plumbing at any hardware store for less than 5 bucks...
The threads involved have nothing to do with plumbing.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #23

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

A couple things: 1. The 1/2-28 threads are odd ball big time outside of the gun world. Most machine shops font even have them unless they have made muzzle brakes or something of the like before. 2. There are hundreds of different size filters out there. As far as sighting the weapon goes, all you have to so is find a filter with a low enough profile. I've already picked out the filter I will use on my AR once I get the adapter and all the paperwork squared away. It is a small diameter filter but it's 6 inches long and has a dual filter element in it. I've done a mock up by just holding the filter up to the end of the barrel to see if I can still use my sights and it is perfect. As for a pistol, you probably wouldn't be doing competition shooting with it anyways. You would be able to get it close with good hand eye coordination.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #24

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The adapter I saw was about $75. The filter is about $5 and the tax is $200. On a bud's 22 pistol (not in Illinois) from about 10' away all I could hear was "click, click, click". I have acreage and timber; if I ever decide to try one out it will be where I can't be found. When they can start tracking down all of the thugs in Chicago then they can be concerned about me.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #25

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63
The adapter I saw was about $75. The filter is about $5 and the tax is $200. On a bud's 22 pistol (not in Illinois) from about 10' away all I could hear was "click, click, click". I have acreage and timber; if I ever decide to try one out it will be where I can't be found. When they can start tracking down all of the thugs in Chicago then they can be concerned about me.
Not trying to be an ass but don't forget that even though we ( for the most part) are all of like mind here, this is an openly viewable forum so be careful what is written. Don't want anyone to have a post come back and bite them.

On another note suppressors are not really that difficult to make. Ever see the 80s or 90s video on YouTube where the guy makes one out of electrical conduit, washers, and a nut that fits a .22 threaded barrel? It only cost like $5 and you can get it all at lowes.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #26

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

Lawn mower muffler works to

RRA Predator Pursuit 20"
RRA Entry Tactical
G21SF,G23,G27
10/22, MKII

Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #27

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
The threads involved have nothing to do with plumbing.
really? I can walk into Lowe's or Menard's, head to the plumbing section, pick up a 1/2' to 1" female to male threaded adapter any day of the week for under the stated $5.00 mark, Physically other than the pipe threads they are no different than this oil can adapter, well maybe a higher quality steel but other than that nada...

Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
Why do so many think the adaptor requires a stamp? It's doesn't. But using it in conjunction with an oil filter to "moderate" the sound level of a firearms discharge then it is a Federal Felony charge knocking on your door. It's like the old M16 US Gov't surplus m16 kits you can buy from Sportsmans warehouse that come with the select fire parts for conversion. You can buy it or own it all day long. When you assemble it, that's when Johnny comes knockin.
If you own an AR 15 and M16 parts kit, you are in constructive posession of a machine gun. Reguardless of weather or not you put them together.

The oil filter suppressor is a suppressor, registered with the ATF. It's completely legit to own one, and or to make one on a Form 1. However, if you change the filter, you must have a license to manufacture NFA Firearms. You as a private citizen are NOT allowed to change the filter, even if you built it on a form 1.

Stupid? Yeah. It really cuts down on the utility for this "suppressor."

Old 03-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #29

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Quote:
Physically other than the pipe threads
That is exactly what I said. The threads involved have NOTHING to do with plumbing.
One is pipe thread and one is machine thread. I fully agree with you that the actual metal piece that we we are talking about looks remarkably similar to a standard pipe bushing.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #30

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
really? I can walk into Lowe's or Menard's, head to the plumbing section, pick up a 1/2' to 1" female to male threaded adapter any day of the week for under the stated $5.00 mark, Physically other than the pipe threads they are no different than this oil can adapter, well maybe a higher quality steel but other than that nada...
you will not find an adapter with the same threads as the end of your barrel at any plumbing or hardware store. The threads are completely different from anything used in plumbing or any other hardware item. I've been a mechanic since I could pick up a wrench and I haven't ever seen a bolt or pipe or anything that has 1/2-28 threads. Now if you wanted to, (it would be illegal so don't) you could go by a pipe fitting with the female hole just smaller than the hole you would need for your barrel threads and drill it out. Then you could go online and order a tap for 1/2-28 threads and tap the hole you just drilled and it would work.