Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Now Open...in 2017

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Now Open...in 2017

Im 26 now, and since ive gotten out and fully enjoyed my 2nd amendment rights, its been a thought in the back of my mind. i will try to lay the premise.

Ive been through 2 different states now. Ohio and Texas. its hard to go through Texas so im saying the northeast. In both of them, so far, i havent found a gun store for people like me. every gun store ive been to is the same almost exactly. racks upon racks of bolt guns and shot guns, only 2 or 3 black rifles. no more than 5 auto-loaders in the counter, the rest nothing but revolvers, old and newer but no fewer than a 2-1 ratio to the autos. and shelves and racks as far as the eye can see with hunting gear for said shot guns and bolt guns, and maybe, you usually have to look in the corner, a box full of synthetic stocks, hand guards, collapsible buttstocks for your tactical styled .223 or SKS. now i say .223 and SKS cause why the hell do you need a 5.56 and/or an AK...at least that was what was asked of me when i asked where is the AK stuff.

Near where i used to live in Ohio there is a big outdoor shop called Fin Feather & Fur...i think it was in that order. its quite obvious what they sell but i had nothing else close. so there i am, literally in the corner, next to the wholesale/clearance/bumper stickers, and i am digging through a 4' tall cardboard box full of WTF to try and find a collapsible buttstock for my AK that the dude at the counter told me might be in here. now going to a place like that one knows what to expect, but to others, its like a small bass pro. and there i am, ass deep in a box like a homeless person while i watch good old boys point at shiny over under wood stock shotguns that they want to hold sitting well lit on the wall and the sales staff gingerly comes from the back after .2 seconds of them asking for it, with what ever implement they need to kill that duck/deer/hog/defenseless creature better. And there i am, arms down as far in as they can go, jacket off on the floor cause im seriously working for it here, but still going home collapsible buttstockless.

and thats where it hit me.

i want to open a gun store that specifically caters to military/LEO's/private security as well as that person who has guns that are meant for "game" that hunt back. no hunting crap what so ever, there's enough of those stores as it is. I want racks of tactical training equipment, combat clothing, molle vests, hi speed low drag gear, field tools, and everything for those rifles that you wont tell people why you have, but they know why, as well as one entire shelving unit dedicated to AK gear. not to mention every firearm i have in that store will be black and in calibers that are respectable. and there will be more than 2 of them.

i plan to mass as much information as i can, like i said i want to be able to start in 5 years. other than FFL and class 3 licenses what other things do i need/should have to prepare myself. mostly paperwork and license wise, i know about vendors and outlets. i have a pretty good job right now, but to open this store is that one thing that would make me die happy.

<Insert overused badass Latin phrase about war, or something>

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2011, 02:43 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 36

good insurance

Remington 700P - .308
Norinco SKS - 7.62x39
Mossberg 500 - 12 ga.
Savage FV64 - .22
Marlin Model 60 - .22 PARTS FOR SALE
EAA Witness P - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223

Old 10-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Solid capital backing your startup, unfortunately firearms ain't cheap. Obviously you'll need a line of vendors and I would plan your advertising out well. Make sure there will be a market for you to sell to in the area. That may be why there isn't already a store like that in your area. All I can think of now. Good luck

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Houston has some gunstores like you want to open. At the most "commercial" end of the spectrum is Collectors Firearms. But there are more than a few "tactical" gunshops in Katy, The Woodlands, Cypress area up off Hwy 290, and on and on. It must be a decent business plan since they seem to be hanging on. Good luck with your venture and perhaps visit a few in this area to see what seems to be working.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativH View Post
Houston has some gunstores like you want to open. At the most "commercial" end of the spectrum is Collectors Firearms. But there are more than a few "tactical" gunshops in Katy, The Woodlands, Cypress area up off Hwy 290, and on and on. It must be a decent business plan since they seem to be hanging on. Good luck with your venture and perhaps visit a few in this area to see what seems to be working.
houston is more than 4 hrs away from me so thats kind of a "hell no" option. im in an area where you dont have to drive more than 2 hrs to be in 3 other states so i think if i could boost the hell out of advertising it could be well done. the stores around where im at seem modern on the outside but even the ones that are to date still carry barely anything good.

keep in mind im not making a man cave of a store. in my mind its much of a outlet for the types i have listed. yes im going to have guns but not on the volume of a Gander Mountain who carries about 80 any given time. about 20 different rifles and assorted auto loaders. i want one of my brothers who got out just like me to come in and be able to build the exact rifle he carried in Iraq in my store-save the laser target designator.

Any one that hates the government is not always a terrorist. Any one for a better America is not always a patriot.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

the store you describe is the exact stores we have around here....3 of 'em off the top of my head.

My favorite...

http://www.21stcenturyfirearms.com/21st_Century_Firearms/Home.html

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #7

thats great, for indiana.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #8

Since you’re from Texas you might want to check out CheaperThenDirt...which is based out of Ft. Worth, TX. They have alot of tactical gear and old military equipment. I wouldn’t drive all the way out there from San Antonio, but when i lived in Dallas it was a great place to shop. Not trying to discourage you from getting your own gun shop by any means (the more the merrier) but depending on where in Texas you live it’s not a bad place to go until 2017.

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
-Samuel Adams

"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives."
-John Adams

Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalkersDQ View Post
Since you’re from Texas you might want to check out CheaperThenDirt...which is based out of Ft. Worth, TX. They have alot of tactical gear and old military equipment. I wouldn’t drive all the way out there from San Antonio, but when i lived in Dallas it was a great place to shop. Not trying to discourage you from getting your own gun shop by any means (the more the merrier) but depending on where in Texas you live it’s not a bad place to go until 2017.

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
woah woah woah, hold up now. i live 2 hrs from DFW, youre tellin me CTD is a physical place. i mean ive known the website for years, but i thought it was just a web based business. if youre tellin me that i can actually walk in there and buy stuff, my tax money this year is already gone.

Old 10-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #10

Haha yeah its a physical place

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: first, a right to life, secondly to liberty, thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."
-Samuel Adams

"Our obligations to our country never cease but with our lives."
-John Adams