North Carolina to Delaware transfer
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > North Carolina to Delaware transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default North Carolina to Delaware transfer

so over the past couple of years i've gotten into picking up a few handguns rifles and a shotgun. I recently found out my grandfather who I never met had an old German WWII rifle and an italian berretta handgun. My uncle has possession of them and lives in North Carolina and he is willing to ship them to me in Delaware. But we don't know the proper way of doing so. In DE we don't have to register or transfer weapons. Im not sure on the laws in NC but the guns are so old I don't imagine they are registered to anyone. If anyone has any advice on how to make this possible it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking he can just go to his local FFL gun shop and put them in a box to my nearest FFL gun shop and I can pick them up.

Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobanG View Post
I'm thinking he can just go to his local FFL gun shop and put them in a box to my nearest FFL gun shop and I can pick them up.

Thank you.
talk to your local FFL guy first regarding your state's regulations, but that should be the case you will have to fill out the proper forms when they arrive as if you just bought them. the shipping and recieving FFLs may charge a transfer fee but its usually not too bad.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

The RIFLE can be MAILED by your uncle thru the US Mail to a FFL in your state of residence- you go do a 4473, any state paperwork, pay your FFL for his time, and you're done. To FIND a FFL that does transfers, go to gunbroker.com, use the "find a ffl" tool. Be sure to talk to them first.

Handguns may not be mailed by anyone not a dealer or manufacturer. They would need to go UPS or FedEx to a FFL, and UPS and FedEx require next day air- very pricy. An FFL in your Uncle's state CAN mail to the a FFL in YOUR state, where you do same process with FFL.

EXCEPTION- if you grandad has passed away, and bequeathed you the firearms, the EXECUTOR of the estate can ship them directly to you, or you can drive down and pick them up. Covered in US Code, title 18, section 922. Most folks miss this.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #4

Liked 1055 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 542

it can be a pain to ship them out here in nc IF they know what your shipping. Break them down , packem and shipem under gun parts or somthing like that . The liberal ship on site shop here were freaking out when i sold a sks , even though i was shipping to a ffl it was a pain in the ass for me so i broke it down and boxed it , shipped under parts to a ffl and we are all happy . come down and spend some time with uncle and take them home enjoy the nice big musketters we have and the wild temprature changes but you gotta take some yankees and sketters back with you lol

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

BAD MARINE! NO COOKIE !

Seriously, do not offer bad legal advice. Under many circumstances. it is a FEDERAL felony to deposit a firearm for transport by common carrier without advising the carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. Exceptions for dealer to dealer.

Legally speaking, with the exception of certain Class III items, a receiver IS the firearm. Barrels, stocks, triggers are parts. Common carriers such as UPS and FedEx will ship from their HUBS not from a storefront, which is a private franchise. If you are in doubt about the regulations of the US mail, or the regulations of FedEx/ UPS (known as tarriffs) go to their website, look it up, print it out, take a copy with you when you go. US Mail is covered in the Domestic Mail Manual.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

Liked 1055 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 542

dang i wanted a cookie , i did not know it was a felony oopps . seems it would be ok if you were shipping to a ffl , what about if you had ups pick up from your location ? I need to ship out my limited pt111 for a grip replacment . thinking of sending them just the lower

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileMarine View Post
dang i wanted a cookie , i did not know it was a felony oopps . seems it would be ok if you were shipping to a ffl , what about if you had ups pick up from your location ? I need to ship out my limited pt111 for a grip replacment . thinking of sending them just the lower
What your describing is the procedure for sending a firearm for repair. It is legal for a private person to do that if it is going to a ffl holder for repairs and return to you but not via usps. To transfer to an individual it has to go ffl to ffl.

The lower portion of most handguns is the registered ffl part. Be sure to speak with whomever you are sending to for service first as not all repair folks will or can legally accept serial numbered ffl parts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-10-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #8

handguns go second day with UPS, well from dealer to dealer anyway.

KB Firearms 607-437-2835 keithb078@yahoo.com