NOOBIE: home FFL app questions - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

NOOBIE: home FFL app questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13024 Times on 5557 Posts
Likes Given: 2139

Drum- not accurate. You must meet all the requirements for conducting business at the named premises- have a business license, be zoned for business, etc- but you CAN have an 01 FFL and have your home as the premises. They ARE- and have been- thinning out the "hobbyist"- and the regs DO say you must intend to "engage in the business".

And Dan- hours of operation DO pertain to a smith. If they want to show up for audit, it is at the days/ hrs you are open for business. But if that is 6pm to 10 pm Friday, Saturday, Sunday, that can be legit. Had an old time naufacturing smith I used to deal with who was open from 6pm to 2AM. For real. He liked the night, and had fewer people bugging him while machining a barrel.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #12

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm just repeating the info I was given. I know for fact that one guy's house was in a business or residential zone He was told that he needed display cases, a direct way into the "shop" and a few other hoops to jump through. I'm not saying about the law. I really do noty know the law and that is why I did not refer to it. I just told a story about two people that I knew that where turned down. The second man was told pretty flat out that they don't like issuing an FFL to someone that does not have an actual store front. THey where told that they wanted to weed out people that get an FFL just to buy weapons and get them shipped to their homes. In the case of the first guy he was setting up with everything to have an actual store and could from the land he was on due to the zoning in his area.

So I must disagree. I am very accurate. Again I am not taking about the law. As we know many times the law has nothing to do with things that involve the law. The tales I told where accurate. Would it happen all over the state? I do not know. I just know what has gone on around here. THe two men had no criminal record and put all their ducks in a row. But apparently it was not enough. It reminds me of the marijuana tax stamps that the government used when first making it a controlled substance. You could grow marijuana all you wanted but you had to get the tax stamp. But they didn't issue any stamps. Was that something that didn't happen? Because the law was in the favor of the people applying for the stamps.
Just because there are laws in lace for the proper regulation of FFL holders. It does not mean that these regulations will always be enforced correctly. But it does not make it inaccurate.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #13

I would love to see the written denial on that one because if they have satisfied the background check, the zoning, the business licenses and all of that, there is no legal way to deny it.

Now most common scenario is that a city wont give a variance to operate a business at that location and in that case no FFL. BATFE doesnt even require a safe

Old 07-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpadds View Post
I would love to see the written denial on that one because if they have satisfied the background check, the zoning, the business licenses and all of that, there is no legal way to deny it.

Now most common scenario is that a city wont give a variance to operate a business at that location and in that case no FFL. BATFE doesnt even require a safe
What he said... You meet the BATF requirements for the license, you get the license. Meeting the requirements means you've already gotten the city permits, blessings, etc...

Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I already have a legitimate business and all the licenses for that business. I own and operate out of a warehouse, and don't actually have a storefront. Could an FFL be "tacked" on with an existing business"? We have secure storage for firearms plus a security system.
I' too have been thinking of trying to get an FFL.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #16

If you just want an FFL under the name of the existing company, then your zoning is likely already good to go, and all the sales tax etc is done. Really thats the easiest way. We setup in our warehouse that our IT company had, and then created a second company to do the job.

The requirements of getting the FFL are all business/background check oriented, having a safe doesn't matter.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's kind of what I was thinking. I think I'll go for it.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #18

does the batfe make you have any type of lib insurance? besides what type of insurance does a small firearm manufacturer get? how much would it cost?

I give props to those entrep. who dare opening a firearm business! It must cost alot to open such a business.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achillesarms View Post
does the batfe make you have any type of lib insurance? besides what type of insurance does a small firearm manufacturer get? how much would it cost?

I give props to those entrep. who dare opening a firearm business! It must cost alot to open such a business.
Insurance is not a requirement of the BATFE. We have liability insurance etc through our insurance guy, really no different from any other business for us.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #20
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13024 Times on 5557 Posts
Likes Given: 2139

Re: Insurance- as the man said, the ATF does not care. HOWEVER- if you are going to be IN THE BUSINESS of buying and selling guns, I would STRONGLY urge you to do 2 things-

First, incorporate, and have the license in the name of the corporation. NOT because of the ATF- because of the guy that buys an SKS from you, takes it to the range without cleaning the gunk from the bolt, gets a slamfire x10, and shoots his buddy. (Actually provided testimony in the above case) Incorporating is for when the WIFE of the dearly departed sues YOU. Only the assets of the corporation can be attacked. Not YOUR house, not YOUR car, not YOUR kids college savings acct.

Second- get liability insurance. You can find it- check with an independent agent, or check the NRA. It's REAL value is that your insurance company provides for your legal defense. If you think ammo is expensive lately, you have not priced out talking to a lawyer.