NOOBIE: home FFL app questions
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > NOOBIE: home FFL app questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
KAG
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default NOOBIE: home FFL app questions

Howdy folks,
I am applying for my FFL for a home based business and I had a few questions for the experianced.
1) Hours of Operation, does it matter?
2) I am wanting to machine my own parts, will and 07 work along with the 01/02?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10105 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

Hours- yes. If you are "engaging in the business" of buying, selling, or repairing firearms, the ATF wants to know that are keeping regular hours, They can be whatever you set, and possible that they may be by appointment.

Manufacturing is a bit fuzzy, and have heard some different opinions from ATF on what constitutes manufacturing (SURPRISE !_) However, the one area you would really encounter manufacturer's license is if making the receiver- since legally THAT is the gun.

Call and talk with the ATF technical firearms branch to be sure.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:49 PM   #3

You mention making your own parts. What parts ?

If the receiver itself, then you need an 07 Manufacturers license.....and all the OSHA compliance forms that go with it.

Other than the serialized part, you can make all the other parts you want without a license.

You MUST be in compliance with all State/Local zoning regulations regarding operating a business from your residence and have a state sales tax license before an FFL would be granted.

There will be a visit from BATF and interview prior to issue.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10105 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 1609

And IF you are manufacturing receivers, remember that there is a Federal Excise Tax on each receiver. The Feds want their money. This is what put Ithaca out of business. They had not paid their Federal Excise taxes.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
KAG

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys.
Yea, the goal is to make recievers, but all the fuss about it is a real drag. I am wanting to make Safari rifes ussing the 388 Lapua round.

My uncle does some of the same stuff and he has his FFL but he was sent to play afgan lead tag last week. So its hard to get his help now. I have my finger print cards done and the CLEO will be back in town tomorrow too sign off on my stuff.

I know I have read this 100 times but with the form 7 I need to send the 2finger print cards and photos. Right? All together? do i need to attach the photos to the form?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #6

For what it is worth... you need a type 7 FFL to "make" stripped receivers. BUT you do not have to pay the excise tax if you do not assemble them into working firearms. So if all you do is make stripped lower receivers for AR's and sell them stripped to other dealers or retail buyers you will never have to pay any federal excise tax...

You can make all other parts for guns that are not serialized (basically anything except the receiver on a rifle/shotgun and the frame for pistol/revolvers) without having to have an FFL of any type or incur any excise tax.

The only time the federal excise tax is incurred is when all the parts come together to form the complete functional firearm. Until that happens no excise tax is due... (In order to assemble all the parts you need a type 7 FFL as well...)

I have a type 7 FFL and have talked to every division of the BATF many times in the last few months about just this subject... TTB (now treasury no longer BATF) ATF TFB, NFA, etc. to make sure I am doing everything by the book...

Still do your own research and talk to the agents to get the answers for yourself but this is what I have learned...

Hope this helps...

Nathan Lamb
Lanco Tactical LLC

Nathan Lamb
Lanco Tactical LLC
www.lancotactical.com

Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #7

I am looking to start designing and prototyping assault rifles, and semi-auto handguns, then possibly making and selling in small batches. I am 23 and live in Tenn. I am taking machine classes, and studying under a gunsmith. What is a good source on info, rules, and regulations about going this path?

thanks, i just joined

Old 07-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3320 Times on 1908 Posts
Likes Given: 1413

Does the hours of operation pertain to a smith shop?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #9

rember there is a 49 gun exemption for 07s and excise tax.

2011 FUN GUN SHOOT
SOUTH DAKOTA'S LARGEST MACHINE GUN SHOOT
www.fungunshoot.com

Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

This might just be a Kentucky thing but they have pretty much stopped giving FFL's to people if the business is in the home. A couple I know applied and one was told that he needed a store front with posted open hours. THe other guy was told that they are trying to shop sellers fropm working oput of the home. I don't see where it matters but that was the story I got.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson