Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   No NICS number after 8 days (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/no-nics-number-after-8-days-20270/)

Yunus 11-20-2009 10:42 PM

No NICS number after 8 days

Question for you FFL's out there.

I purchased a handgun last thursday, Maryland has a 7 day waiting period which really means on day 8 you can pick up the gun. I go in to the store today and was told they are still waiting on the NICS number. It's been 8 days, I thought this was supposed to be an instant system and if after 3 days no response then you can proceed with the sale? The shop owner said he can't legally transfer a firearm without the NICS number. Is that true? and is this common? I realize Maryland might have some weird laws and I'm not looking for a legal answer, just trying to make sure I'm not being given the run around here.

Jpyle 11-20-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 188736)
Question for you FFL's out there.

I purchased a handgun last thursday, Maryland has a 7 day waiting period which really means on day 8 you can pick up the gun. I go in to the store today and was told they are still waiting on the NICS number. It's been 8 days, I thought this was supposed to be an instant system and if after 3 days no response then you can proceed with the sale? The shop owner said he can't legally transfer a firearm without the NICS number. Is that true? and is this common? I realize Maryland might have some weird laws and I'm not looking for a legal answer, just trying to make sure I'm not being given the run around here.

The link is below but it appears that unless Maryland prohibits it implicitely, the FFL can transfer the gun without a NICS approval after 3 business days. In your case three days, not counting Thurs, would have been Fri, Mon, Tues.

Federal Bureau of Investigation - National Instant Criminal Background Check System - Guide for Obtaining your FBI Identification Record

Yunus 11-21-2009 12:01 AM

I'm going back tomorrow and hopefully it will be in. But with Maryland you never know, they might have a specific restriction, I'll ask the gun dealer to site the specific law when I check tomorrow.

Thanks

Jess 11-21-2009 10:29 AM

That would suck, but yeah they should run pretty fast. we've never had to go back to pick up a gun (no waiting for CPL holders). When I bought L's .22 it took about 20 minutes for the entire transaction

RCHanlin 11-28-2009 11:03 AM

FYI:

Purchase of a handgun or assault weapon from a regulated firearms dealer is subject to disapproval by the Secretary of the Maryland State Police during a seven-day waiting period. The buyer must complete an application form that is sent by the dealer or law enforcement agency to the Secretary of the State Police for investigation.

The applicant is required to provide information regarding the buyer’s eligibility to purchase or possess a handgun, and a description (including a serial number) of the handgun being purchased. There is a $10 fee.

The application may be disapproved only if the purchaser is ineligible or if the information supplied is false or incomplete. If no action is taken within seven working days from the date the application is forwarded by the dealer, the handgun may be delivered to the purchaser.

Looks as though you get your firearm... Gratz

There is no waiting period in Georgia. We go through the GBI rather than NICS for purchase background checks $5 fee to non-license holders free to holders ..

Cheers

Yunus 11-28-2009 04:00 PM

Yeah I got the gun and all is good. I think it's just a case of the gun shop owner going above and beyond the law, which might be common practice in Maryland. I can't fault him for wanting to stay on the good side of the State Police, even if he isn't doing anything illegal it might just be frowned upon to transfer before the paperwork is back.

General_lee 11-29-2009 02:12 PM

We use NICS instead of GBI where I work in Columbus,GA.
There is usually no waiting period here, but sometimes the NICS examiner will say "This transaction requires further review", usually that only takes a few minutes, but sometimes they will put a delay on it. They give the FFL a deadline date (usually 72 hours) and if they havent called back before their time is up, the gun may then be transferred.

995 11-29-2009 02:47 PM

I just brought a Ruger 22/45 last week and the guy told me now it's a 10 day wait in Maryland no which is BULL****

IMAPEOPLEPERSON 06-11-2010 04:56 PM

Just another way the man is keeping us down.lol

docpadds 06-11-2010 09:09 PM

Odd they say they are waiting on the number if its NICS because you get the number whether its a Proceed, Deny or Delay.

Strange way to term it.