Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Nfa wtf? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/nfa-wtf-34320/)

1919A4 11-13-2010 02:23 AM

Nfa wtf?

OK, long story short, I sent a seller full payment for a machine gun a month and a half ago, with the expectation that he was going to transfer it quickly to my dealer.

Checked with my dealer today, who called BATF, only to find out that no transfer paperwork for this gun has ever been received by them. They did confirm that the seller actually owns the gun, which is good, but still...I gave nearly twenty grand to a guy and he apparently hasn't taken step #1 towards getting the gun I paid for to me.

Any suggestions on this one?

JonM 11-13-2010 02:39 AM

20k makes it felony fraud federal offense. since he is a class title owner the stf wont be happy about it. might try contacting him and see what the deal is. if no luck after that might try a law enforcement agency since they tend to take that sum seriously if a full auto weapon is involved.

1919A4 11-13-2010 02:43 AM

I don't think (hope) we're to that point yet. Seller's been fairly responsive up to this point, but I'm waiting to hear back from him now.

It just kills me that I now have more waiting ahead of me as essentially the transfer process hasn't even started. At this rate, I'll be lucky to take final possession by early summer.

JonM 11-13-2010 03:23 AM

well yeah the law route would be last resort. thats why i suggested trying to talk again :)

c3shooter 11-14-2010 02:16 AM

For $20K, we would be having a phone conversation right about now. Before it develops into the "time to come to Jesus" conversation, find out what is happening. It is not inconcievable that he has submitted paperwork- You MUST have dealt with the BATFE before- and their record is not always impressive.

But we WOULD be having a talk.......

cpttango30 11-14-2010 02:28 AM

This is not where you can drive to visit the person and see the weapon prior to buying it?

I am cautious enough just buying regular firearms on line. Now your talking $20k and a Class III. You are a brave sole man. Keep us updated. He would need that Class III if he took $20 K from me. But if I blew $20k on a gun my wife would more than likely have it set up and hose my ass down with hot lead as I arrived home from work to spend time with it.

1919A4 11-14-2010 03:42 PM

I have an e-mail and phone call into the seller now and am waiting for him to respond. I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he didn't file the paperwork, I'm going to be pissed. I've done 5 or 6 other transfers and not personally had BATFE issues yet, but I know that it can happen.

As to checking the seller out beforehand, he lives a ways from me, but I did my due diligence and I know where he lives, what his other full-time job is and where he works, and I got references from other machine gunners who know him. I knew that he is who he says that he is before doing the deal so I wasn't worried. But now...

tcustoms 11-14-2010 06:46 PM

Ive had some really funky dealings since becoming an 07/C2 SOT. Seem's like lots of them have major money issues.

There were a couple that I would have sworn were lying but the paperwork proved they were in fact telling the truth. I hope in your case its just a mistake.

1919A4 11-16-2010 10:23 PM

As an update, the seller's gotten back in touch with me, I'm convinced that there was a good-faith error somewhere along the line, and the seller's magnanimously tossed in some extra stuff to make up for the delay. We're back in process--starting from day #1 again, and with any luck, I'll eventually get my new shooter some time in late spring...(sigh).

NWBuckeye 12-02-2010 01:21 AM

How about some more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1919A4 (Post 385331)
OK, long story short, I sent a seller full payment for a machine gun a month and a half ago, with the expectation that he was going to transfer it quickly to my dealer.

Checked with my dealer today, who called BATF, only to find out that no transfer paperwork for this gun has ever been received by them. They did confirm that the seller actually owns the gun, which is good, but still...I gave nearly twenty grand to a guy and he apparently hasn't taken step #1 towards getting the gun I paid for to me.

Any suggestions on this one?

1st. off, it is up to ATF to do the transfer, not the Dealer. Transfers are taking 2-6 weeks on Form 3's alone. I'm Not sticking up for them, but we need more info. Just because ATF can't locate it right off doesn't mean they don't have it. Did the Dealer Fax the Transfer in or mail it?
2nd., ask the dealer for a Confirmation that the paperwork was indeed sent in, and when?. I take it that you know the serial number correct?. Call ATF to inquire as to the transfer status again, and let us know what you find. Good luck.