NFA/trust Not needed for suppressr that came with a gun?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

NFA/trust Not needed for suppressr that came with a gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default NFA/trust Not needed for suppressr that came with a gun?

I was browsing the FB trading post page for my town (in Central TX) Someone had posted that they were looking to sell a MAC 10 (semi auto chambered in .22lr) after a little discussion they mentioned it comes with a suppressor when I informed them that I didnt have a Stamp or anything allowing me to have a suppressor they said "It is part of the original manufacture of the gun. You don't have to have an NFA for it." I've never heard of this before (I'm a newby so thats not surprising) I just want to make sure everythings on the up and up before I meet an unknown person to buy a gun off of. Anyone have any input or knowledge that could illuminate my situation.

Last edited by TM3TenraiSS; 10-04-2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: adding more info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9173 Times on 4957 Posts
Likes Given: 19344

C3 would know. Doesn't sound right to me.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:26 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM3TenraiSS View Post
I was browsing the FB trading post page for my town (in Central TX) Someone had posted that they were looking to sell a MAC 10 (semi auto chambered in .22lr) after a little discussion they mentioned it comes with a suppressor when I informed them that I didnt have a Stamp or anything allowing me to have a suppressor they said "It is part of the original manufacture of the gun. You don't have to have an NFA for it." I've never heard of this before (I'm a newby so thats not surprising) I just want to make sure everythings on the up and up before I meet an unknown person to buy a gun off of. Anyone have any input or knowledge that could illuminate my situation.
some of the older mac10 were like that. they were grandfathered. however that only applies to the original owner at time of private registry. they are no longer grandfathered once they transfer so you would need a stamp for the gun and one for the suppressor buying it today.

best bet is to get the serial number and call up the nfa division and ask to be sure. those guys change their minds and rules faster than a teenage girl at an all boy teeny bop...
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9173 Times on 4957 Posts
Likes Given: 19344

Would he need a stamp for a semi-automatic?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Would he need a stamp for a semi-automatic?
if it was manufactered as a rifle, it would need one for a SBR to be legal.
TM3TenraiSS Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:35 AM   #6

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It is either a set-up or is being watched by the BATF. This is a felony waiting to be tried.
People Like This 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:48 AM   #7

Liked 2483 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Pretty sure the question is about the suppressor. I'd ask the seller if it a true sound suppressor or just a fake suppressor that us really nothing more than a barrel shroud. I don't think a suppressor for a Mac10 clone in .22 lr would be old enough to be grandfathered in before the NFA of 1934, which was enacted prior to the design of the Mac10 that the .22 is a clone of.

A semi-automatic Mac10 clone itself could be sold as a pistol as long as there is no stock or provision to mount one.

So the seller may not be that educated either.

A properly registered suppressor would have to be transferred through an appropriately listened dealer and the ATF would have to be aware of the transfer, and the new purchaser would have to have the appropriate paperwork and taxes paid to purchase it.

Then I also noticed the OP lists his location as New York, so who knows. It could could be a Bloomberg trap. I'd hate to see a Sub qualed torpedoman get boned in the process of trying to buy a gun.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 10-04-2013 at 02:53 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I am guessing since it is a 22LR caliber that it may have come with a fake suppressor. Just for MAC10 look since I doubt that this could have been one that was grandfathered in since it is a 22 and not a 10mm like a MAC10 would be.
TM3TenraiSS Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:56 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Pretty sure the question is about the suppressor. I'd ask the seller if it a true sound suppressor or just a fake suppressor that us really nothing more than a barrel shroud. I don't think a suppressor for a Mac10 clone in .22 lr would be old enough to be grandfathered in before the NFA of 1934, which was enacted prior to the design of the Mac10 that the .22 is a clone of.

A semi-automatic Mac10 clone itself could be sold as a pistol as long as there is no stock or provision to mount one.

So the seller may not be that educated either.

A properly registered suppressor would have to be transferred through an appropriately listened dealer and the ATF would have to be aware of the transfer, and the new purchaser would have to have the appropriate paperwork and taxes paid to purchase it.

Then I also noticed the OP lists his location as New York, so who knows. It could could be a Bloomberg trap. I'd hate to see a Sub qualed torpedoman get boned in the process of trying to buy a gun.
Thanks Doc I asked if it was a faux suppressor according to the seller it isnt, I think I'm gonna steer clear of this sale, it smells fishy. Also I live in TX now I left NY once Cuomo passed the UNSafe Act

Last edited by TM3TenraiSS; 10-04-2013 at 02:59 AM. Reason: wrote buyer instead of seller, and stating my general location
CaseyChadwell Likes This 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
It is either a set-up or is being watched by the BATF. This is a felony waiting to be tried.
Thats my thinking I just told em I couldnt buy it since the suppressor legality was unclear