Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > NFA law question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NFA law question

i live in Florida. If i wat to move to Virginia what do i have to do to take my Class3 stuff with me?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Virginia State Police - Machine Gun Registration

Old 06-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
they only mentioned machine guns. i would only be bringing silencers, SBRs and an AOW??? Thanks for the link it answered alot of other questions i had.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8407 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

You are required to ship half of your other Class III items to a current resident of VA. The address is: C3 Shooter,PO Box 1321.....

As shown in the link, you need to register full autos with the state- and that is cheap and not a biggy. As long as you have the NFA paperwork, the rest does not matter- Virginia does not restrict AOWs, suppressors, etc.

You DO need to notify the BATFE that you are changing states.

So- what part of the Commonwealth are you headed for? PS- Welcome.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-01-2011, 01:52 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Virginia is about as free as they come as far as all the "goodies," just have to follow the instructions there. Heck, just a signature from the sherrif will get you a suppressor from the Armory (and they are fully stocked there) without issue. What I love about this state.

Good luck and welcome.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Virginia is about as free as they come as far as all the "goodies," just have to follow the instructions there. Heck, just a signature from the sherrif will get you a suppressor from the Armory (and they are fully stocked there) without issue. What I love about this state.

Good luck and welcome.
so if i already own stuff in Florida i can just bring it up as long as i let atf know that im moving? everything i have is in a trust. thanks again for answering my questions.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You are required to ship half of your other Class III items to a current resident of VA. The address is: C3 Shooter,PO Box 1321.....

As shown in the link, you need to register full autos with the state- and that is cheap and not a biggy. As long as you have the NFA paperwork, the rest does not matter- Virginia does not restrict AOWs, suppressors, etc.

You DO need to notify the BATFE that you are changing states.

So- what part of the Commonwealth are you headed for? PS- Welcome.
Lynchburg. thanks for the info

Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
so if i already own stuff in Florida i can just bring it up as long as i let atf know that im moving? everything i have is in a trust. thanks again for answering my questions.
I cant answer that for you and dont trust anything on the internet without talking to the proper people first. The link I provided should be all you need to at least find a person to speak with on the phone before making a move some guy on the internet told you to do. Wouldnt want to screw ya bud.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #9

Quote:
I cant answer that for you and dont trust anything on the internet without talking to the proper people first. The link I provided should be all you need to at least find a person to speak with on the phone before making a move some guy on the internet told you to do. Wouldnt want to screw ya bud.
ya that link really help alot! thanks again!

Old 06-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #10

Default transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M118LR View Post
i live in Florida. If i wat to move to Virginia what do i have to do to take my Class3 stuff with me?
from the FAQ section of the NFA
----------------------------------------------------------------
Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]
This is a better source of info than a forum

Small Arms Restoration, Inc

Last edited by triggerman770; 06-10-2011 at 06:04 PM.