NFA items, what if you have to move? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > NFA items, what if you have to move?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
A trust is a legal creation, where the items are owned by the trust. Resolves issues of who owns (more than one person) and removes requirement for LEO permission and fingerprinting, Do NOT try to use the "lawyer in a box" computer programs- some have been found deficient by ATF.
The sheriff in my county is notorious for not approving NFA items. Is a trust easy to set up? Am I understanding this right, if I set up a trust I don't need his approval?

And if so does everyone on the trust have to pay the $200 tax stamp?

I'd like a suppressor for my 22/45.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556 View Post
But would that be still in place if I had created a trust in a state where nfa items are allowed and had to move to a different state where nfa items are allowed?
Yes you just see the same lawyer or another lawyer and have the location of the trust changed

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89

The sheriff in my county is notorious for not approving NFA items. Is a trust easy to set up? Am I understanding this right, if I set up a trust I don't need his approval?

And if so does everyone on the trust have to pay the $200 tax stamp?

I'd like a suppressor for my 22/45.
Yes, with a trust you do not need Sheriff's approval. The trust is the legal owner of the NFA items and would be the only "individual" that pays the $200.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #14

GunTrustLawyer.com

answers all your questions. I did mine through him. not the cheapest, but VERY good. Set-up a trust, have it notarized, open a bank account in the trusts name, name yourself Trustee, name your wife Trustee, make sure ALL purchases and transfer taxes are paid THROUGH the trusts bank account.

One BIG difference between a trust and doing any NFA individually, besides the CLEO letter and finger prints and pics. IF you have them transferred as an individual and IF you keep them in the same safe that your wife has her jewelry in and IF she has access to that jewelry (has the combo and uses it without you being there) then EVERY TIME she opens that safe she is creating an NFA violation. If she is a co-trustee then there can be no such violation since she is a named co-trustee of the trust.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #15

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 637

Although it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to just get a separate safe either for your wife, or for the NFA item.....If you can afford that stuff, you can afford another safe....

I do agree with going the trust route, for all the other reasons mentioned. I called a lawyer here that specializes in NFA trusts, and he charges in the $6-800 range.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
Although it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to just get a separate safe either for your wife, or for the NFA item.....If you can afford that stuff, you can afford another safe....

I do agree with going the trust route, for all the other reasons mentioned. I called a lawyer here that specializes in NFA trusts, and he charges in the $6-800 range.
I'll have to do some asking around. We have a lot of friends that are lawyers in Chicago but that won't do me any good. Is $6-800 the average cost to have on set up? I talked to my mom and when she fully retires and she's coming back up here and she'll set up a trust. I'm looking at 4+ years of college in IL. Which sucks..

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams

Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

there is a good one in milwaukee and i dont think he charged me that much. i dont really remember

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
there is a good one in milwaukee and i dont think he charged me that much. i dont really remember
Thanks, I'll get on the computer and do some looking around.

The Constitution shall never be construed … to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. –Samuel Adams