Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   NFA items, what if you have to move? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/nfa-items-what-if-you-have-move-59444/)

Wi_Hunter556 03-05-2012 01:56 AM

NFA items, what if you have to move?

Hey guys I was talking to a friend and we started talking about guns that we'd like to buy. And sbrs came up, id really like to build one when I turn 21. But my question is if I live in a state that is nfa firearm friendly but have to move to a different state, like address and license change, what would you have to do in a situation like that?

JonM 03-05-2012 02:08 AM

depends on if your registering them with a trust as an corporation or as an individual.

with all three you fill out a change of address nfa atf form send it in. as an individual thats all you do.

as a corporation and trust you also have your trust or corporation location paperwork changed.

some states require notification to local police that you are bringing in nfa check state laws. some states prohibit all nfa or certain nfa. yoou cant bring in a item even if its legally owned in your current location to a prohibited one.

consult an nfa attourney for actual legal advice

Wi_Hunter556 03-05-2012 02:18 AM

Well I'm going to college in chicago. My mom lives there and just retired from CPD after 25 years. I live in Wi and its nfa friendly and I know in il you can't own any nfa items if my memory is correct. Let's just say if I do own nfa items and I get a job in il, what would I do with them if I had to move but still owned my home in WI?

JonM 03-05-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wi_Hunter556 (Post 729163)
Well I'm going to college in chicago. My mom lives there and just retired from CPD after 25 years. I live in Wi and its nfa friendly and I know in il you can't own any nfa items if my memory is correct. Let's just say if I do own nfa items and I get a job in il, what would I do with them if I had to move but still owned my home in WI?

the paperwork reflects where the items are not where you are. you can live in il and leave them secured in a safe only you have access to in wisconsin. if you change your residency to il then you may have issues. you need to consult an attourney on this

Wi_Hunter556 03-05-2012 06:21 PM

Well I got ahold of a lawyer and he said just to keep them in the nfa friendly state.

canebrake 03-05-2012 06:25 PM

A trust is your friend, and the only way I'd go!

Wi_Hunter556 03-05-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake
A trust is your friend, and the only way I'd go!

Could you please explain what a trust is?

c3shooter 03-05-2012 06:59 PM

A trust is a legal creation, where the items are owned by the trust. Resolves issues of who owns (more than one person) and removes requirement for LEO permission and fingerprinting, Do NOT try to use the "lawyer in a box" computer programs- some have been found deficient by ATF.

canebrake 03-05-2012 07:05 PM

In my case it allows the members of the trust (my kids) to use all the NFA items without dragging the old man along.

It eliminates the issue of a sole owner passing away and leaving the disposition of the NFA items to the judge/government.

Wi_Hunter556 03-05-2012 07:13 PM

But would that be still in place if I had created a trust in a state where nfa items are allowed and had to move to a different state where nfa items are allowed?