Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > newbie relic ffl question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default newbie relic ffl question.

OK so im thinking of getting a type 03 ffl with is the curio&relic ffl.
i have read a small amount on how to obtain it in my area but cant really find an answer on this....before i just call the BATF i thought id just ask here

with a curio & relic, firearms that are 50+ from date of purchase are legit. now is that ffl still good for me to purchase wholesale ammo or any type of hand gun/ rifle from an online site and have it delivered to my door?

for example... i get this ffl and find a nice ak47 or AR-15 i want from a company selling it online, can i order it and the ffl i have would allow them to ship it to me?

thanks guys...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

No. Not to give you a short answer.

The type 03 Curio & Relics FFL (hereinafter refered to as a C&R, cause it is easier to type)- what is will and will not do-

First- is NOT a license to "engage in the business" of buying and selling ANY firearm. Yes, you can buy. Yes, you can sell. As a COLLECTOR. Not as a business.

You can buy a gun on line, from a dealer, from a wholesaler, and have it delivered to your door. IF THAT GUN IS A C&R GUN ONLY. That means the particular gun has to be 50 years old, in its original configuration, OR be a gun on the list published by the BATFE (All colt Woodsman pistols, ALL Winchester 88s, etc)

Places such as Brownells and Numrich Gun Parts Corp does give a discount (10% IIRC) to C&R holders. You CAN buy guns from most wholesalers (if the gun is a C&R) You can buy a gun face to face with minimal paperwork (IF the gun is a C&R) You can buy a gun where you would not be able to (Virginia resident, go to gun show in Colorado, see nice Colt Woodsman, you can buy it) For arms that are NOT C&R, it does nothing.

SOME states (CA being one that springs to mind) does set limitations on a C&R that go beyonds Feds. Have had one since 76- they can be a lot of fun- you stay broke, but have a lot of guns.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #3

ok so with out becoing a dealer is there a ffl a consumer can get that would alow him of her to purchase a firearm via web sites?

Old 03-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Check out Bud's or some other on line dealers. Most of them have an FFL location search feature. You just enter your zip code and it shows licensees in your area that will do transfers for you.

Then call them and see what they charge. A lot of them are home based businesses and they aren't open every day.

Let us know how you do.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Check out Bud's or some other on line dealers. Most of them have an FFL location search feature. You just enter your zip code and it shows licensees in your area that will do transfers for you.

Then call them and see what they charge. A lot of them are home based businesses and they aren't open every day.

Let us know how you do.
ok the ffls by me that are bigger named shops are kinda dicks they dont want to deal with it they want to buy the gun and sell it to me at a way over rated price. thats business tho i guess. maybe there are some guys on here that have a small business like you said i can start dealing with.

thanks

Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Trust me on this. Use the FFL finder on Bud's website. You'll find a bunch of FFL's that you didn't know existed. They will charge different amounts. Pick one that you like and away you go.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1279

Couple of things- First, you cannot get an 01 Dealer's FFL to support your addiction- Uh- HOBBY- yeah, that's the word- HOBBY. In order to get an 01 FFL, you must "ENGAGE IN THE BUSINESS" of buying and selling guns- or being a gunsmith. BATFE will simply not issue one.

Now, there are some good auction sites, as well as wholesalers out there. You WILL need a FFL in your home state to recieve for you. As far as Dick's etc- forget having them do a transfer for you.

Go to the home page for auctionarms.com, and for gunbroker.com, and locate the "Find a FFL" function. These are the FFLs that have registered as being willing to handle a transfer for you. Put in your zip code, and it pulls up FFLs near you. Name, address, phone #, and in many cases, how much they charge. Big dealers around here charge $50-$100. Some of the folks in this area that are registered as transfer dealers charge $10-$20.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #8

I have a home based dealer that handles all my Gunbroker deals. $25.00
to do the transfer. Most retailers want you to buy from stock not use their FFL
to bypass them.