new guy from texas with a ? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > new guy from texas with a ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 03:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
like it says new guy from texas.

I do have one quick question im looking at adding to my collection of firearms. I'm wondering if i can be approved for an CLASS 3 weapon with a non-violent felony "drug felony" i was 17 when i got it, it is expunged. I know that any government background check can still see it but regular jobs can not.

I have been all over the web trying to find an answer which is how i came across this site. Theres lots of great info and will defiantly continue reading.
oh and I am 21

Thanks.
if you can buy a gun now on a quick check ( form 4473 ) at a gun dealer. then you can buy a class 3 weapon

Old 12-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinm-60guy View Post
jing you should have no problem since it was taken care of . the atf will more than likely call you and quiz you a little but just tell them the truth and don't make them ask something you should just give up freely(info). owning class 3 is a privledge and a lot of responsiablillty comes with it . they can search your home with out a search warrant anytime even if your not home . no big deal as long as you stay on the straight and norrow.most of them love their job and think it is a good thing that we can own them . a few don't under stand and are just drawing a ck.

BATF CANNOT search your house without a warrant, ever.

If your record was expunged, that means a state appointed or elected judge ordered all records (affidavit, officer's report, statements, anything in a case file) destroyed. That would mean the arresting department, court and state/county/city attorney's office would destroy documentation.

However, if you were CONVICTED of the crime, it will most likely still show up on a state criminal records check. It will almost surely show up on a national NCIC record check as well. You are merely a name, DOB and SSN plugged into a computer. Nationally maintained computer records of convictions are not removed.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 12-02-2008 at 04:30 AM.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng2985 View Post
like it says new guy from texas.

I do have one quick question im looking at adding to my collection of firearms. I'm wondering if i can be approved for an CLASS 3 weapon with a non-violent felony "drug felony" i was 17 when i got it, it is expunged. I know that any government background check can still see it but regular jobs can not.

I have been all over the web trying to find an answer which is how i came across this site. Theres lots of great info and will defiantly continue reading.
oh and I am 21

Thanks.
Your best bet would be to contact BATFE before you do anything and not your state offices. You need to talk to the national offices. This will probably require a letter to there legal dept and and afew mo's wait for the reply. When going in to NFA firearms the usual friearms laws don't apply. I would hate to see to fill out your form 4 send it in with the $200 for the transfer and be denied and they won't refund you your $200. People have been denied for as little as a $100 bounced chk that they didn't make good on. Call them first and they can direct you on what and where's etc. to do. Most questions they will not answer over the phone. Some one here mentioned earlier in this thread about a pre-86 model. I'm not quite sure what he ment but it sounds like he is talking about a pre 86 dealer sample unless you are a dealer you can't get it. If he ment the gun needs to be made before 86 he needs to mention that the gun is transferable to eleviate any confusion. I hope this helps. Good luck Trigger

Old 02-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #24

Basically the best rule of thumb is if you can buy a handgun you can buy an NFA item, so long as your state allows it, and you do the proper paper work of course.