Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   new guy from texas with a ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/new-guy-texas-8248/)

jng2985 11-07-2008 02:02 AM

new guy from texas with a ?

like it says new guy from texas.

I do have one quick question im looking at adding to my collection of firearms. I'm wondering if i can be approved for an CLASS 3 weapon with a non-violent felony "drug felony" i was 17 when i got it, it is expunged. I know that any government background check can still see it but regular jobs can not.

I have been all over the web trying to find an answer which is how i came across this site. Theres lots of great info and will defiantly continue reading.
oh and I am 21

Thanks.

matt g 11-07-2008 02:07 AM

With it being expunged it shouldn't be a problem, but you'd need to talk to a Class III dealer or the ATF directly.

Whatcha' lookin' to buy?

CA357 11-07-2008 02:08 AM

1. I dunno'.

2. Welcome here. :cool:

janikphoto 11-07-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jng2985 (Post 49185)
...oh and I am 21

Thanks.

Your felony wasn't THAT long ago if you are only 21 now. Hopefully you have learned a lesson from the incident. I'm not trying to talk down to you, just saying that I messed up when I was 16 and learned a great deal from it. The whole "do unto others" really hits home when you see all the people that are hurt from your actions. Again, not trying to be preachy here, just sharing a personal turning point for me...

And I don't think juvenile non-violent offenses that have been erased from your adult record will affect your chances.

jng2985 11-07-2008 03:57 AM

thanks everyone and thank you for moving this to the correct section.

I do like to think I have learned a great deal from my stupid mistakes. I'm also looking into some semi-auto AR's.

thanks again

matt g 11-07-2008 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jng2985 (Post 49211)
thanks everyone and thank you for moving this to the correct section.

I do like to think I have learned a great deal from my stupid mistakes. I'm also looking into some semi-auto AR's.

thanks again

Semi-auto ARs aren't Class III, you can buy them over the counter.

junho806 11-07-2008 04:10 AM

welcome to the forum
so i'm guessin with the Class III you looking to get a silenced full auto AR-15?

robocop10mm 11-07-2008 12:18 PM

If it was truly expunged there will be NO record of it. Expungement erases ALL record of the arrest/conviction as if it never happened at all.

jng2985 11-07-2008 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 49218)
Semi-auto ARs aren't Class III, you can buy them over the counter.

I know

Quote:

Originally Posted by junho806 (Post 49220)
welcome to the forum
so i'm guessin with the Class III you looking to get a silenced full auto AR-15?

something along those lines yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 49275)
If it was truly expunged there will be NO record of it. Expungement erases ALL record of the arrest/conviction as if it never happened at all.

No, the only way it can be seen is by federal back ground checks. I was thinking the exact same thing. Until I had it explained to me by an airforce recruiter.

As long as I dont need government security clearance then no job i could ever apply for can find it. Which is why i was asking about it, since it would be my guess that ATF could see it.

junho806 11-07-2008 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jng2985 (Post 49313)

something along those lines yes.

then yeah you'll need a class III
and it'll all cost you a little more than a shiny little penny
:D
btw i think its pretty hard to get full auto legally
you only need a class II for a silencer though