Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Need clarification on Pistol to Rifle conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Need clarification on Pistol to Rifle conversion

Hello all

For the last couple of weeks I have been researching this subject and even with all the information that I have been able to find, I'm still confuse.

I have a Ruger Charger 22. This gun for a pistol is a great rifle. I can not shoot it with one hand because is too heavy in the front. I have to shoot it like a rifle but it feels weird to do that. Don't get me wrong, I love this gun.

The thing is that I wanted to convert it to what it was originally, a 10/22 rifle. I found the original replacement barrel and stock for a total of $100.

What I found on this is that if it was registered as a pistol it will always be a pistol, but I also found that if change the barrel to more than 16" there is no problem and if you put the rifle stock after you incorporate the barrel, there is no problem. For what I understood, it has to be done in that order. What you can not do is to take it back to be a pistol and that you have to "destroy" the pistol barrel and stock.

Is no big deal if I convert the pistol or not, since the 10/22 can be found very cheap, but I would like to clarify this, so I would like to read your opinions.

Thanks;

JV

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19981 Times on 11360 Posts
Likes Given: 50402

i may be mistaken, but it being legally classified as a pistol, you can't change it to a rifle configuration legally. if i'm correct it has to stay a pistol or it's not legal. also vise versa. hopefully someone else will be able to add some input on this. i could be mistaken, so best bet is to check the BATF website and see if it is legal to do so. if it isn't, the consquences would be bad.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I was on the BATF webpage and start reading about the law but fall asleep in the middle of first page... I will read more tonight... at least half a page more...

Is no big deal, just that the correct interpretation eludes me.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by josan89 View Post
I was on the BATF webpage and start reading about the law but fall asleep in the middle of first page... I will read more tonight... at least half a page more...

Is no big deal, just that the correct interpretation eludes me.
maybe someone will offer some input and give some clarifiaction on the matter. because the BATF doesn't really care about good intentions when it comes to their rules and regulations.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

As far as the Feds, you can make a rifle (16 in bbl, 26 in overall minimums) FROM a pistol. You cannot make a pistol FROM a rifle without paperwork- it becomes an SBR- Short Barreled Rifle- when you do that.

Honestly? Go buy a 10-22, you cheap son of a gun. You would just waste the money on frills anyway- like food, shelter, medicine, etc

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

C3 is correct, again. Conversion to a rifle is not an issue. Conversion the other way is very much so. Just keep the barrel length of the rifle at 16" or longer. Shorter and you'd be creating an SBR and that requires the stamp and a whole new set of rules. Just because the original paperwork shates that you own a pistol doesn't mean that it will stay a pistol, per se, if you convert it to, say, a 10" barreled rifle. You'd be creating a SHORT BARREL RIFLE and that will be an issue. There definately is a difference.

I'm not clear why you'd want to do this to the gun you are talking about. I'd just get a rifle myself also, but that's just me.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #7

i tend to agree with the others, that for what a decent barrel and a stock will cost, you could probably buy another 10/22 rifle new or used. then you would have two guns instead of one!

Old 05-05-2012, 04:12 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I guess a new 10/22 it is. I think that making the change do not worst the risk if any...

Thanks for the input!!!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #9

Default Want a fun pistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by josan89 View Post
I guess a new 10/22 it is. I think that making the change do not worst the risk if any...

Thanks for the input!!!
I have a Sig 556p 10.5 barrel fun to soot. Add a Urban URT sling a now I have a check weld! Works fine while I wait on my SBR stamp and it suppresor.

The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect.
Clausewitz

Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #10

I did think about making my GSG5 a SBR but by the time I buy the short barrel and the stamp another $400 in to the gun. Just could not do,it.

The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect.
Clausewitz