Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (
-   -   NC Gun Show Credentials (

flfd138 04-29-2009 07:41 PM

NC Gun Show Credentials
I was wondering what r the Required credentials do you need to purchase any firearm at an gun show in the state of NC!!!!

c3shooter 04-30-2009 03:42 AM

Depends (no, not the adult diapers) Long gun, or handgun?

Long gun, typically 2 IDs, at least one being photo showing your place of residence. Say a driver's license and a CCW permit, voter registration card, etc.

For handgun, as above, PLUS a handgun purchase permit. Required in NC even for private sales. IIRC. If you are not a resident of NC, you may only buy long guns, and they must be from a FFL holder (Federal law)

Which is part of the reason I have an 03 FFL- permits me to collect at any location in the US- but only for C&R firearms.

flfd138 04-30-2009 06:32 PM

Ok Thank you Very much!!

wildgeese 12-11-2012 03:28 AM

AS there are 38 states that honorer each others CCW;s would it let me buy a handgun in a state thats not my home state? i know i could have them ship it to my state dealer but im wondering if my ccw could back door it?

c3shooter 12-11-2012 05:10 AM

No. I can give you the short no, or the long no.

Federal law (Title 18, US Code, Section 922) says unless you hold a Federal Firearms License, you may ONLY acquire a HANDGUN in your state of residence. That includes private sales, Dealers at a shop, or at a gun show.

You can buy it, but you cannot take delivery of it in a state other than your state of residence. Period.

John_Deer 12-11-2012 11:35 AM

The NC pistol purchase law is written kind of odd. A sheriff can issue a purchase permit to non residents for the purpose of collecting. I am not sure of the definition of collecting.

c3shooter 12-11-2012 11:48 AM

John- correct- but FEDERAL law says you cannot buy a handgun and take delivery anywhere but your own state of residence- so a Virginian cannot drive down to a NC show and buy and take delivery of a handgun. Exception for holder of a COLLECTOR of Curio and Relic Firearms License.

John_Deer 12-11-2012 12:14 PM

I really don't know why Virginian would drive to Raleigh for the show. I have been there a bunch of times and never bought a gun. It's fun to walk around with a bunch of friends to look and goof off. As far as actually purchasing all I ever see that is fairly priced is reloading components.

The last show people bought a bunch of 91/30's that were good for scrap. I don't know how many people came by here with a 91/30 that locked up every time they shot it. I showed them what needed to be done and they thought I was lying. I quit going to the door when someone walked up carrying a mosin nagant.

c3shooter 12-11-2012 05:22 PM

John- I visit shows when traveling for work. Most of my interest in guns from the 30s-40s-50s, and finding them is catch-as-catch-can.

John_Deer 12-11-2012 10:13 PM

C3, good luck, you might find anything at the Raleigh Gun show. Down east there are a lot of old guns still in use. It's nothing to see a deer hunter carrying a Humpback Remington or any classic gun. He feels that someone in his family killed a lot of game with a given gun and he will too. They are often traded when the hunter wants a new gun. The shows in Raleigh draw vendors from all over the state.