Moving my FFL to a different state......
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Moving my FFL to a different state......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Moving my FFL to a different state......

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. I am a retired/disabled public servant who has turned into Mr. Mom. The wife is the bread winner of the house, and I take care of my 3 young sons. I have had a small gun shop for about four years now.

Now I am faced with moving to a different state, as the wife completed some schooling recently and wants a better job. It's down to either Delaware or Montana. I am rooting for Montana. But we won't know until Monday what they will offer her.

Sorry for the family history lesson there, but being my first post, I felt like telling a bit about my family. So, my question here is: How or what, do I do to move my FFL to a new state. I just renewed it a few months. Just not sure what I need to do? It appears that we won't be buying a house right away. And I may not find a business location right away also. Does the BATF-E put it in limbo until I get a new shop?

If anyone has first hand knowledge, or just knows how to transfer my FFL to a new state....I'd appreciate any help? Thank You very much!!

Paul

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9573 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Cannot offer first hand advice on this- other than get in touch with the BATFE firearm technical branch over in West Virginia. do not try to get an answer from a local agent. You will need to re-apply at your new location, and show that you meet state and local requirements at your new location. You will not be able to do business under your old license at your new address, since the license is for a designated PREMISES.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ya...that's what I was thinkin.......

Thanks C3. BTW is the "C3" stand for a c3 vette? I have a '73 coupe. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I called my brother and we ended up thinking the same thing. As soon as I leave the big mitten...that license is mute.
I'll email the virginia folks. Thanks again!!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #4

i am pretty sure you don't have to reapply, you just need an amended license form.

your businessmen will have to be allowed in your new location, by both state and local governments, incl any housing association etc.

KB Firearms 607-437-2835 keithb078@yahoo.com

Old 08-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #5

you will need this form

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5300-38.pdf

Old 08-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Default delaware ffl

I am a delaware FFL and if you move here you will need a lic from delaware to sell handguns. This state is pretty easy no waiting period.....but no class 3 stuff

Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Moving...FFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithB View Post
Ahhh, thank you. Makes sense. I will eventually have to contact the ATF. You se, you raised a good point about the folks being able to enter my biz. Well, moving to a new state, job, etc. I believe we're going to get an apt. first. Buy a house once settled. So, unless I can score an open store-front (without being a resident yet) I will be licensed into an apartment. We'll see. I did notice on the form though, that it allows you to be in an apartment. Hmmm...

Old 08-08-2011, 03:05 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Moving...FFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond2688 View Post
I am a delaware FFL and if you move here you will need a lic from delaware to sell handguns. This state is pretty easy no waiting period.....but no class 3 stuff
Thank you!! Good to know!!

Paul

Old 08-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #9

You may have a FFL in your house, if there or no state or local laws against it, and you can get that in writing