Military With a Concealed Weapons Permit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Military With a Concealed Weapons Permit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2871 Times on 1658 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Default Military With a Concealed Weapons Permit

I was asked about situation and did some research I thought may be interesting to others:

Fact: Florida has a 3 day waiting period for handguns. Should the purchaser have a concealed weapons permit issued by Florida, the 3 day wait is waived.

Fact: Military personnel assigned to Florida bases on a "permanent" status (not TDY or TAD) are considered Florida residents for firearms purchases even if they are legal resident's of another state.

If I were to transfer a handgun for a military member who had a concealed permit from another state, the 3 day wait is not waived.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Weird........

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I have an interesting situation as well. With the military folks being stationed in IL but residing in IA and residency in another state, it's fun trying to sort it all out when doing a 4473 or talking to folks. ATF rules say they are good to transfer the firearm even if they are stationed in a border state, as long as they currently live in the state that you are licensed in, you can sell all day.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Silverado- at one time, I had THREE legal residences for purposes of buying a firearm-

My "home of record" was Virginia. I was assigned to Ft. Benning GA. I resided in an apartment in Phenix City AL. While that can be confusing. dealers in that area are accustomed to it.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 PM   #5

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

fyi.......an active duty person (by ucmj) is not allowed to carry a weapon (even if they posess a state cch permit). only can carry a usgi issued weapon if so deemed by orders or special duty allowed (in writing by their commander).

active duty personnel are exempt from state weapons laws. they come under the ucmj. (uniform code of military justice)

Old 07-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Sniper- I have to disagree with you. SM may not carry a personal firearm for duty purposes- with the exception of the times when I was competing in a match, and was on orders that permitted the transport and use of personal firearms.

SM are not exempt from state laws except in the performance of military duty. Off duty and off post, they fall under the laws of the state. On post or on duty they are subject to the UCMJ.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #7

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Sniper I spent 13 years in the Corps 9 of them I carried concealed and still made it to E7. You are not allowed to carry on base but with a state permit and following state laws off base is no different than any other civilian. Ths only difference is who carries out the punishment if something goes wrong.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Sniper I spent 13 years in the Corps 9 of them I carried concealed and still made it to E7. You are not allowed to carry on base but with a state permit and following state laws off base is no different than any other civilian. Ths only difference is who carries out the punishment if something goes wrong.
Bingo...

While active at Ft Lewis WA My residence was My Tacoma Address. Even though I maintained my Oregon residence WA issued me a Resident CCW and I could buy handguns in either state.

Oregon has no sales tax so do the math.

Tack

Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

as a service member you can have a ccw but cannot carry on base or on duty. if you get in to trouble off base with it you are subject to both civil and UCMJ punishments on base strictly UCMJ

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 07-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #10

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

correct wiseman. active duty personnel are on duty 24/7 on or off base.
my job(supply nco) required me to travel off post (transferring equipment and picking up supplies). i also was required to be IN UNIFORM. ucmj strickly prohibits carrying personal weapons (on or off post) (state ccw permit or not) while in uniform.

btw, i had a state ccw permit and carried regardless

Last edited by sniper762; 07-26-2012 at 03:19 PM.