master gunsmith? arbitrary? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > master gunsmith? arbitrary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Thanks Axxe. I have the skill to fix ANY gun......but the confidence for MOST wolf is right bout the plumber comparison though.
you're welcome. i agree with Wolf's plumber comparison too. very good way to put it.

i had an uncle who use to say anything was fixable, if you put enough money and time into it!

Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #22

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If anybody want to be a GOOD gunsmith they better forget the damn online classes and find them a mentor who is GREAT. The truelly good smiths are few and far between. They also rarely take on am apprentice. I have had a guy ask me if I would apprentice him and I told him to F off cuz I wasn't dealing w that sh!t. I member my own mistakes and that's the mistakes made by someone who was born w the God given talent for it. If I make them mistakes that bad what is some idiot, who has no clue just a desire to do it, gonna make? I am a GOOD smith and I still just barely break even w MY 30 personal clients and my mentors 100 clients. Those are the faithful regular customers.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

you're welcome. i agree with Wolf's plumber comparison too. very good way to put it.

i had an uncle who use to say anything was fixable, if you put enough money and time into it!
Also if you have the talent to do it.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #24

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I will probably catch grief for this but..... Today it is becoming hard to understand the title of Master and Journeyman and lets not forget Apprentice. These days anyone that has every assembled a gun can call themselves a gunsmith. This is like an ambulance driver calling themselves a Doctor. Cleaning, field stripping and routine maintenance are not Gunsmithing. You do not have to go to school to be a gunsmith, I have met several who were self taught over many years who are outstanding gunsmiths. I have met a few Master Gunsmiths over the years even had a few as teachers at various stages in my career. Not a single one of them refered to themselves as Masters, there peers did. I'm not sure that these days with having all the non gun related business, i.e. paperwork and purchasing etc. that gunsmith are able to devote the time to the Art of gunsmithing to become Masters. I can tell you this when you meet a true "Master" of gunsmithing or any other craft you will know it. I release the soapbox now thank you for your indulgence.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #25

Bear, you won't catch grief from me over your post! you pretty much nailed it as far as i am concerned.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #26

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thank you Axxe

Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
Bear, you won't catch grief from me over your post! you pretty much nailed it as far as i am concerned.
Same here man

Old 06-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #28

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I know one Master Gunsmith.

This man has the knowledge, skills, experience and tools to take a barrel blank and a hunk of wood and turn out a fine firearm that anyone would be proud to own. When he was finished making it a working firearm, then he could custom engrave it, inlay it, and carve a freaking life-like rabbit on the hammer spur. This man has a shop with, I am guessing, 5,000 guns in it. He owns them all and none of them are for sale. He will tell you he sells services, not guns.

He keeps so many guns around so that if someone has lost or broken a part, he can disassemble one of the guns and copy the part for a replacement. The collection is quite impressive.

The quality of his bluing and engraving would impress the most picky gun owner.

On top of all of that, he is a great guy and will stop what he is doing and chit-chat with folks who drop in, even if they have no work in hand.

He is a Korea vet. A Canadian who joined the American Army to serve then stayed here. It will be a sad day around here when he hangs up his apron.

Carl Sagan

Old 06-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #29

Location: Dallas... not willingly.,TEXAS... if I don't type it as big as possible, they'll kick me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I did not want to start a new thread for this question and considering this thread is about gun smiths i thought ill ask it here. When im older i want to start a gun company.What classes do you guys recommend in high school and what degree in college ??? thanks

Well to tell you the truth, I learned each job seperatly (learn how to blue - then mount a scope - then install a butt pad... etc.)
If you want to be making recievers and basic parts, no easily affordable college is going to teach you that.
And by affordable I mean $120 or less per credit hour. You must realize most gunsmithing knowledge is picked up in pieces and scraps. It's not a brain dunk of learing all at once. It's not medical school.

I went on google, typed in 'google books" and found the google library. They have a pricing option of 'free', which is a great big list of public domain works. Type in machining, lathe, milling, shaper, machinery, etc. and you'll get a fine selection of very detailed textbooks from 1890-1920.

Yes, that is old tech, but as a small shopper you'll not need and CNC big stuff ($$$).

Business is nice to have for college courses, but I learned more just by reading the book that talking to the "teacher", who was just a paper work assigner.

A separate program will download your google book from the URL into a saved PDF file, readable whenever you so wish. I must have 20 books from google alone.

The work of david gingery was also a great help to me.

ps... *AHEM*kickass-torrents-type-in-gingery-etc.*AHEM*

Old 06-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Also if you have the talent to do it.
true gunsmiths do it because of their passion and love of firearms, not money, glory or fame. they enjoy working on firearms and enjoy bringing back to life a firearm that has a broken part, restoring one to it's original state, seeking to find that last tiny bit of accuracy and keeping together a tradition that is very much a part of the history of our country.

though i have a passion and love for firearms, sadly i lack the talents required to be a real gunsmith. so i have settled for being a hobbiest who respects and admires the talents of true craftsmen.